TR stock

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Dave 101

TR stock

#1 Post by Dave 101 »

Hi

I wont go into details of the stock at the moment just looking for an opinion on the paint design ,
I wont be offended just want an honest opinion , is it good or is it bad . Just an idea I had , so its never been done by me before , if you all think its rubbish I will do something else .
Please dont say if its what you like , just looking for other views .
Dave

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: TR stock

#2 Post by Mike357 »

Personally, I'm not sure about the colour but it works well with the stock base colour. You have struck a good balance between patter and base colour.

I like camouflage style stocks so all in all, good job.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Dangermouse

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

Although I do like camo stocks, this design does nothing for me. I guess that you are trying to do a desert style pattern?
I feel the undercoat is making the stock look cheap, but that may just be the flash on the camera giving an artificial shiny glare to the pictures.

Certainly not a bad first try,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Dave 101

#4 Post by Dave 101 »

The base colour is more of a coyote tan , a bit more brown / red tinge than it appears in the photo .

Dave
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

To me it doesn't work due to the repeat of the pattern not being random. Pattern is in line.

:|
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

Needs more "pattern", looks part done.....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

The stock is a very nice shape, what is it made from and what is it inletted for? Pattern wise, it is a good start but not for this stock, I don’t know why but in my mind this stock shape would lend itself to a more radical paint job, or if it is wood maybe half wood and half painted.

I do like the stock though!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dave 101

#8 Post by Dave 101 »

The stock is a 1970s , probably , laminated jobby a light wood and a brown wood problem with it was it started to come apart at the F/E so I glued it and put a cross bolt in . The under side of the stock was removed and a channel section made to encase it and shaped to give the BR style F/E . The bottom of the butt stock has had a peice added .
It is inletted for an Enfield No.4 MkI converted to 7.62 single shot . the original bedding was done with car body filler I think so that was removed and I have bedded it with Devcon , it also has 2 pillars .
This is the stock as it was

Its been an ongoing project for about 4 years now from when I bought it , I sold the apperture sights and regretted that decision now , I have tried one of the Armalon scope rails but couldnt get on with that ,
So I have bought a set of repro No 4T mounts and see how that works out ,
It was the first F/B rifle I ever bought without a lot of knowledge and nearly scrapped the lot at one time that was why I sold the sights .

I shall go with this paint job till it looks worn then try something else , I made a Ruger 10/22 stock thats had more paint jobs than I have had hot dinners .

Dave