Question for the gun smiths

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Hunter87

Question for the gun smiths

#1 Post by Hunter87 »

Would it be possible to get a flash hider that is threaded in 14 CCW and have it retreaded in 1/2x20
UNF
Jame5m

Re: Question for the gun smiths

#2 Post by Jame5m »

It would need to be sleeved and then machined and threaded, isn't 14lh a common airsoft thread? You may find the donor break not to suitable for real use....
Hunter87

#3 Post by Hunter87 »

Thanks for the reply Jane5m i was looking at an all steel airsoft noveskie kx3 flash hider for a .22lr I wanted to see if it could make the gun louder as it's advertised that it can make an airsoft gun sound louder. Might sound like a stupid idea but I really want to try it to see if it would work.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

I'm not a gunsmith but I don't think so. You could get a adaptor made to go from the 14mm thread to half inch.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#5 Post by TattooedGun »

It's classed as a suppressor - so threading it and using it on a Sec 1 firearm would make it a regulated item, would it not?

And why the heck would you want to make it louder for no other benefit? Just to annoy everyone else on the range shooting along side you?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

Jame5m wrote:It would need to be sleeved and then machined and threaded, isn't 14lh a common airsoft thread? You may find the donor break not to suitable for real use....
14mm LH thread is common on most AK variant muzzle brakes.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Hunter87

#7 Post by Hunter87 »

TattooedGun wrote:It's classed as a suppressor - so threading it and using it on a Sec 1 firearm would make it a regulated item, would it not?

And why the heck would you want to make it louder for no other benefit? Just to annoy everyone else on the range shooting along side you?
Bloody hell mate calm down your gonna burst a blood vessel! I don't agree with you I don't believe it would be classed as a "suppressor" sorry I meant sound moderator as it increases the noise not lowers it also the item is advertised as being a flash hider which to the best of my knowledge aren't regulated.
I have private land that's far enough away from people/houses that I can shoot on so I'm not going annoy anyone and I wouldn't dream of taking it to a club.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#8 Post by TattooedGun »

Hunter87 wrote:
TattooedGun wrote:It's classed as a suppressor - so threading it and using it on a Sec 1 firearm would make it a regulated item, would it not?

Bloody hell mate calm down your gonna burst a blood vessel! I don't agree with you I don't believe it would be classed as a "suppressor" sorry I meant sound moderator as it increases the noise not lowers it also the item is advertised as being a flash hider which to the best of my knowledge aren't regulated.
I have private land that's far enough away from people/houses that I can shoot on so I'm not going annoy anyone and I wouldn't dream of taking it to a club.
Sorry for trying to help make sure you stay within the law, which you are obviously unaware of...
In this Act, the expression “firearm” means a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged and includes—

(a)any prohibited weapon, whether it is such a lethal weapon as aforesaid or not; and

(b)any component part of such a lethal or prohibited weapon; and

(c)any accessory to any such weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon;

and so much of section 1 of this Act as excludes any description of firearm from the category of firearms to which that section applies shall be construed as also excluding component parts of, and accessories to, firearms of that description.
I still don't understand why you'd want to make it louder, there is no practical reason for such.

You'd also be in violation of the proof act, unless I'm mistaken.
Hunter87

#9 Post by Hunter87 »

First off thank you for putting effort into keeping me legal it's much appreciated and I really do mean that. I have read your quote and as I have said its not a sound moderator it's making the sound louder. Same as a muzzle break does and to my knowledge muzzle breaks and flash hiders aren't regulated either I can walk into any gun shop and buy a flash hider or muzzle break no questions asked I don't need a variation as their aren't on ticket. How would I be in violation of the proof act?
I want to make it louder because I'm interested in knowing if it would actually work hay it might even be fun!
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#10 Post by saddler »

Muzzle brakes are NOT regulated
Flash hiders ARE regulated