Is it worth Joining the NRA?

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

Re: Is it worth Joining the NRA?

#71 Post by Demonic69 »

So now it's chicken-egg, do we join in the hopes of getting something up north or do we wait to see if anything comes of it?
TBH there should be enough surplus for the NRA to speculate, there should also be enough members and affiliates for them to justify the investment already.
I guess we'll see.
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#72 Post by Robert303 »

I agree it is Chicken / Egg at the moment. There is enough surplus to take on capital projects but not enough to take on long term commitments such as a salary. They are hopeful that this might be resolved in the next few months. However we shall have to wait and see as with a lot of things in the increasingly commercial world 'confidentiality' comes into play.
Marmite5

#73 Post by Marmite5 »

Seems to be a good case to join then I suppose.
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#74 Post by Robert303 »

Marmite. If you live miles away and are not going to visit Bisley in the next two years I might say hold off until you see what happens. However at £47 for the first year and if you enter one or two comps during the Phoenix / Imperial / Trafalgar meetings I think it is worth joining. It's certainly worth a visit when there are comps on that you might be interested in even if it's just for a walk round to have a look. If your discrete you can normally get a drink and food in the London and Middlesex club house without being challenged about membership (I'm not sure if they take NRA membership as 'Associate member') In the old days they took NPA membership and made a fortune out of the Anno Domini meetings. I must say I'm finding them helpful with a problem out club is having with the Police.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#75 Post by dromia »

Personally after 30 years of broken promises about becoming "national" including people whose paid job it was to develop regionally I shall wait and see be fore I believe or put any more hopes to be dashed into the NRA.

Membership choice at present is very simple, if you want to shoot at Bisley regularly and book targets then it is no brainer, however for the occasional competition it isn't really worth it.

I used to shoot three times a year at Bisley. Pistol AM/Phoenix, IHAM and the Trafalgar meeting. The membership was just worth it then for the slight reduction on entry fees and the reduction on accommodation which has now been stopped so I doubt that the savings are worth it for the odd competition.

Unless I see a cogent vision plan and promise developed over the next 12 months as to how the NRA is going to make itself a national body and truly represent national shooters and celebrate shooting beyond Bisley then I will be letting my membership lapse.

Being lied to with the NRA's false promises over the decades has become quiet debilitating.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#76 Post by Gaz »

Robert303 wrote:If your discrete you can normally get a drink and food in the London and Middlesex club house without being challenged about membership (I'm not sure if they take NRA membership as 'Associate member') In the old days they took NPA membership and made a fortune out of the Anno Domini meetings. I must say I'm finding them helpful with a problem out club is having with the Police.
I don't think the LMRA has challenged for membership cards for years, unless someone's being rowdy and we want to remove them. All are welcome :good:
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.