Is there any point continuing as-is?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mr_Logic

Re: Is there any point continuing as-is?

#11 Post by Mr_Logic »

Thanks Vince. Any idea how much I should be looking at for this work please?
Dangermouse

#12 Post by Dangermouse »

Depending where you are in the country you might find a one of the forum members will do it for you,
Stuart Anselm who is behind Osprey Rifles http://ospreyrifles.com/index.html
should know the rifle inside out as he sells them.

Mik Mak of http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/pages/view/244 has some of the newest machinery and many F class shooters have had work done by him (I have as well).

Don't forget Dave (Baldy) from http://www.valkyrierifles.net/ who is based up in Yorkshire.

Apologies if I missed any one it is difficult to keep track of all the members!

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
CormieAckImp

#13 Post by CormieAckImp »

It seems that you've resigned yourself to the fact that you're going to have pressure problems and that your free bore isn't enough. Why not try gradually increasing your loads and keeping an eye on what happens? Every action/chamber is different and you might find you get satisfactory results with what you've got. In saying that I know that the 90s in a .223 are a very long bullet and that the ideal freebore needs to be longer but why not find out for yourself? Safety first of course!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

On the bullet exchange theme, we should have a few 75gr and 80gr .224's at home if you want me to pop a few in the post, it saves buying a box of something only to find they do not work out for you.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mr_Logic

#15 Post by Mr_Logic »

thanks ovenpaa, I have already tried the 80.5 berger and it does work to 1000 yards. however, windage on the 90 berger was 1 moa lower. got some 80 grain amax to try as they're cheap and the 75s worked OK driven to 3075 fps.

i've not given up on my current setup, just that Laurie makes the point about seating depth being important, and I can't match that, hence the need for some help on what to do now. I can drive the 90s at 2750-odd (very ish as not chronoed them yet, but they were where they were meant to be for 2750 MV).
Gun Pimp

#16 Post by Gun Pimp »

Stuart Anselm at Opsrey Rifles has the identical reamer to what Laurie used...........

Vince
Mr_Logic

#17 Post by Mr_Logic »

I'll drop him a PM.

I'm over at Norman Clark's tomorrow anyway for some powder (and another box of both 80.5s and 90s) also so I'll ask him while I'm there...