MOD Ranges - Urgent Safety Notice

A section for news and announcements only.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

Re: MOD Ranges - Urgent Safety Notice

#21 Post by Gaz »

So, um, how many rifles in other calibres are capable of double-feeding in the same way?
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
Swamp Donkey
Home club or Range: Wessex Rifles

#22 Post by Swamp Donkey »

None. Honest ocifer ;)
Charlie Muggins

#23 Post by Charlie Muggins »

Gaz wrote:So, um, how many rifles in other calibres are capable of double-feeding in the same way?
Well it seems at least one Norinco SKS: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009 ... all-of-us/ Not really a problem in the UK, and it's interesting to note that the rifle in question was bubbad with a 30-round mag, which may have altered the angle at which the round enters the chamber. Bullet-hits-primer-on-chambered-round is a foreseeable failure and one which I would expect gunsmiths to allow for

I can't find many similar occurrences, though thinking about it TR-style single shots with loading platforms would be more mechanically susceptible to the problem than mag-fed designs. However the chance of not noticing that your round did not eject are probably much lower with such a beast.
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#24 Post by DW58 »

I witnessed just such a double feed last evening where a very experienced TR shooter had previously loaded a round into the breech of his single-shot target rifle but not closing the bolt, then faffed about for a while and subsequently loaded a second round into the feed tray and fed this forward clearly unaware there was already a round in the chamber.

In my opinion it was only good luck that the point of the second round didn't engage the primer of the first resulting in dangerous consequences. The rifle was unloaded with obvious embarrassment and I suspect the shooter concerned was unaware that his actions had been observed.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
Swamp Donkey
Home club or Range: Wessex Rifles

#25 Post by Swamp Donkey »

COAL can make all the difference as to wether or not you can set off a primer on a double charge, and not the black burny stuff either. I had a play around with my TRG 22 with a decapped case, and a dummy round which I seated a little shorter each time, I won't give the COAL as it will be different for every gun etc, but there was a 'node' where a second round would pick up from the mag and land centrally into the primer pocket of the chambered case, fortunately, nowhere near any OAL I run, so I'm not worried, but might be worth running a quick check of your own.

Pete
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#26 Post by DW58 »

Swamp Donkey wrote:COAL can make all the difference as to wether or not you can set off a primer on a double charge, and not the black burny stuff either. I had a play around with my TRG 22 with a decapped case, and a dummy round which I seated a little shorter each time, I won't give the COAL as it will be different for every gun etc, but there was a 'node' where a second round would pick up from the mag and land centrally into the primer pocket of the chambered case, fortunately, nowhere near any OAL I run, so I'm not worried, but might be worth running a quick check of your own.

Pete
Interesting.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
tackb

#27 Post by tackb »

surely this would only really be a problem in autos ? an unfired round in the chamber then pulling the working parts to the rear and it doesn't extract it might slam forward picking up a new round and setting off the primer/round? I just can't see someone manually slamming a bolt forward with enough force to set off a round? of course I could be wrong (have been before) but it just seems really unlikely?
John MH

#28 Post by John MH »

I've been told this actual event involved a left handed shooter who was distracted when chambering a round, the bolt operated with his left hand over the action picked up a round and whilst fed into the breech the bolt was not closed so the extractor claw did not engage in the case rim. At this point the shooter was distracted, then forgetting that he had already almost fully chambered a round he pulled the bolt all the way back and fed another round from the single stack RPA magazine; this round started its journey forward but was prevented from completely stripping from the magazine by the round already in the breech, being left handed the shooter pulled the bolt back and slammed it forwards possibly thinking that the round was just being held by the magazine. On slamming the bolt forward the round in the breech went off and the case exploded casing injury to the shooter and substantial damage to the rifle. Being left handed reduced the potential injury consequences the shooter suffered as the majority of the blast went right and down as opposed to up and left where his hand was.
tackb

#29 Post by tackb »

wow , that's an unfortunate (and unlikely) chain of events to happen, sounds a bit fanciful to me but if it happenend it happened !

he must have slammed the bolt forward with some force ? and the tip of the rear round had to be held in place as well so the full force could be directed onto the primer of the front round and not slip off , crazy sequence of events leading to an accident, but that's the nature of accidents !

I might try and reproduce it with a primed case in my 308 and a dummy round?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#30 Post by Blackstuff »

Moral of the story: do all of you're dicking around before you load your rifle and only load your rifle when you're ready to actually shoot it tesnews
DVC