1000yd shot.... with a 9mm handgun!

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: 1000yd shot.... with a 9mm handgun!

#11 Post by Sandgroper »

bigfathairybiker wrote:
Meaty wrote:I would have expected a bit more elevation than that @1000 yards (1:02) especially with a 9mm.

Me too... he mentions 150ft drop and aiming in the sky, but the barrel is almost level.

Mark

“What does it mean to be the best? It means you have to be better than the number two guy. But what gratification is there in that? He's a loser—that’s why he's number two.”
150 feet or 50 yrds over 1000yds works out to be 2.86 degrees over the horizontal - as a simple trig calculation.

As an aside seeing the video makes me wonder if I should give it a bash with my Destroyer carbine (9mm Largo),one day? After all, Cawdor is only a 600m range and the carbine sights are graduated to 700m! :o
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Charlie Muggins

#12 Post by Charlie Muggins »

Hornady 147gn XTP develops about 1,000FPS from a 4" barrel and has a BC of .212, which means it drops 2,734 inches at 1,000 yards. That would require an elevation of about 273 minutes or 4.55 degrees.
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#13 Post by Sandgroper »

Charlie Muggins wrote:Hornady 147gn XTP develops about 1,000FPS from a 4" barrel and has a BC of .212, which means it drops 2,734 inches at 1,000 yards. That would require an elevation of about 273 minutes or 4.55 degrees.
2 734 inches = 76 yds (approx) which gives 4.35 degrees as a simple trig calculation, which is close enough.

Sim G

#14 Post by Sim G »

Is that not what Jerry said, 80 yards elevation....?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dougan

#15 Post by Dougan »

Les wrote:Not taking anything away from his marksmanship, but I don't think that he actually hit the balloon. I think it was hit by a piece of casing or lead fragment after the bullet hit the backstop, because the POI isn't anywhere near where the balloon was.

Just sayin'! ;)
Yes, must have been a fragment of something that burst the balloon - And he must have tried a few times before filming the two shots shown to get his POA...

...still an impressive shot to get on film tongueout
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#16 Post by Sandgroper »

Sim G wrote:Is that not what Jerry said, 80 yards elevation....?
Wasn't paying that much attention - my first calculation was based on a comment made on page 1...
In any case, I doubt I could identify less than 5 degrees of elevation just from the video or even if I was there for that matter.