The Friendly Deer

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Blu

The Friendly Deer

#1 Post by Blu »

A couple of years back I was up North hunting with my brother in law at his place. That day Jim (BiL) wasn't feeling too good and gave it a miss so out I went on my own. Well I'm sitting in a permanent blind Jim had built waiting for Bambi to put in an appearance.

To my right there is a trail and just in front of the trail there are trees that hide the blind but I can see what's coming before it sees the blind. Anyways I see movement behind the trees and a white tail flickering so I ready's the rifle to take a shot when it clears the trees.

Sure enough a deer emerges from the trees and instead of being the usual quiet alert deer this one starts bleating. I was kinda taken aback as I've never seen a deer do this, I lowered the rifle and the deer caught the movement, walks up to the blind, sticks it's head in and starts bleating at me.

Well by now I'm like, WTF? I get out of the Blind and the deer comes to me and starts rubbing itself against me. So I start heading back to the house and the deer follows me. Jim who is sat watching the telly casually glances out the window sees me and does a double take on the deer following me.

We ( Bambi and I) get to the house where by now Jim is outside. He asks what's going on to which I reply "Are we still allowed to shoot them if they surrender"?

Jim is a local cop and he called the a Conservation Officer type guy he knew who came over. He made a call and a nice lady who is licenced to look after deer came and collected it, it will stay with her until it's final days.

Between us we figured that someone had found Bambi as a fawn and thinking the mother had abandoned it, or something else had happened to it's mother (probably totally wrong) had taken it in and then released into the wild without knowing that it was not equipped to survive and was, up until it found me, coyote bait.

The moral of the story (if there is one), leave young wild animals you come across alone. Mother nature will take care of things. If Momma is dead and the young are destined to become some other critters meal, such is the way of things in the wild.

Blu :twisted:
Dalgo

Re: The Friendly Deer

#2 Post by Dalgo »

I've had a similar "odd" experience with a Pheasant. I'm no hunter but I had been hiking through the hills of Galloway (about 8 years ago).

I'd seen quiet a few pheasants around but only the usual flapping blur as they scattered into the ferns.

After making camp for the final night, before the hike back to my friend farm, I woke up to find a pheasant in the front "porch" of my tent, next to my backpack.

I thought he'd fly away once I got out of the tent but he stayed put until I finished making breakfast and packed up the camp.

He then followed me for about 5 miles back to my friends farm.

So we named him Brian (as in "Dangerous Brian", he loved to chase cars! :| ) and he stayed on the farm for about 3 years.

In the end we can only presume he got bored and flew away or he chased the wrong car. :(

To this day I'm not entirely sure why he was like that...I put it down to possible brain damage. :? Guess I'll never really know.

-Dalgo
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: The Friendly Deer

#3 Post by dromia »

From what i've seen deer don't make good pets, especially stags when it comes to the rutting season.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/