Under a kilometre doesn’t count

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Under a kilometre doesn’t count

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

A couple of us were invited to shoot at our old club today, not being one to miss an opportunity we headed off in torrential rain to Barton Road early this morning in rain, to be greeted by more rain and 2C with the Butts just visible at 600m.

Hmm...

After setting up some frames (we opted for 200 yard targets on small frames as large frames are a PITA to move around) I managed to blag sentry duty but then realised my flask was still in the car so I got cold and wet listening to bangs in the distance. As this was theoretically a 'drops' day they had opted to start at 100 which I skipped but came out of the sentry hut for 5 rounds at 300m, yup that worked, quickly followed by another 5 rounds at 600m (Hit the black bit which is always nice) Then I was oer on ff to the Butts.

Butt duty can be grim on a cold wet day but I need not have worried as some serious target conservation was taking place. Now I have to say I was a tad confused by this as I knew the shooter and he can usually hit things, eventually someone else took over and got on the frame so I managed to get some exercise to keep warm. The two frames to the left of me were receiving only light traffic so I put it down to abysmal weather conditions.

Come swap over I realised why the problems, they had moved to 1008 metres which suited me as I had my F-B(UK) Hoodie on to keep me warm with "Under a kilometre doesn’t count" on the back. At least the frames were visible which was handy and despite the rain, and a constant cold wind I was looking forward to getting down to some 'proper' shooting.

Given the temperature I wound in 10.2 Mil and took a shot (always good when the frame goes down) added one more klick and that was me dialled in for the next 30 shots in some very trying conditions, often I could not see the marker and had to depend on radio or a spotter to the left of me, feedback from the Butts at the end of the session was good though so a worthwhile day.

BTW - My new cheek piece has made a significant difference in my shooting and was well worth those couple of hours in the shed the other day :D
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Under a kilometre doesn’t count

#2 Post by bnz41 »

Well done, not a day to be outside never mind squeezing a trigger... when are the hoodies for sale?
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#3 Post by Mike357 »

Can we see the finished Hoodie? One of you should model it for us.
:)
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Mine is rather wet right now but I am sure we can get something posted up in a bit ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
jjvc

#5 Post by jjvc »

Good report OP, pleased you got to shoot. Our trip to Catterick was a waste of time, due to snow and poor visibility our shoot was cancelled. :(

Joe
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I spoke to my Mum this morning in Chesterfield and they had an inch of snow, I was hoping we had seen the last of if for a while
/d

Shed Journal
TobyH

#7 Post by TobyH »

BTW - My new cheek piece has made a significant difference in my shooting and was well worth those couple of hours in the shed the other day
Does your cheek piece get soggy in the rain?
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." - Dick Sharples
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Technically all of me got soggy that day and again at Bisley yesterday but being closed foam it gets wet but not soggy.
/d

Shed Journal