New Taurus owner

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Mikaveli
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

New Taurus owner

#1 Post by Mikaveli »

Well, I picked up this thing earlier in the week:

It's a Taurus model 66 (stainless steel) in .357 Magnum.

I took it to the range for the first time and was pleasantly surprised by it's overall build quality, condition and appearance Also, I really didn't notice the brace or extra barrel length when shooting it. It 'felt' like a handgun and very much reminded me of the last (cartridge) revolver I fired - a 8" barrelled S&W 686. Here's an example image for comparison:

My revolver had some trigger work done by the previous owner, making the pull in SA around 2.7 lbs. Plus a bit of fettling and its cylinder polished. Only our 50m range was available to shoot it on, but with an approximate POA, open sights, my eyesight and lack of ability it managed a 6" seven shot group from an unsupported (double-hand) grip. I'm looking forward to getting it rested and zero'd in properly to see how accurate it can get. :)
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

Re: New Taurus owner

#2 Post by froggy »

Enjoy !! :good:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

For reference, if you ever want to change the grips, the size of all the Taurus LBR's is;

Large Frame, Square.

Hogue are the best as the back strap is open and there is no need to modify them to take into account the rod/brace.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mikaveli

#4 Post by Mikaveli »

Sim G wrote:For reference, if you ever want to change the grips, the size of all the Taurus LBR's is;

Large Frame, Square.

Hogue are the best as the back strap is open and there is no need to modify them to take into account the rod/brace.
Thanks, I'll definitely be looking at some new grips at some point. sign92
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

That looks good, what is the length of the barrel, is it 12" or a bit over?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mikaveli

#6 Post by Mikaveli »

ovenpaa wrote:That looks good, what is the length of the barrel, is it 12" or a bit over?
It's just over 12" inches where it meets the cylinder. Before I'd bought it I'd assumed the measurement would be from where it screws into the frame, so it's a little shorter than I'd imagined.
Primer

#7 Post by Primer »

Sim G wrote:For reference, if you ever want to change the grips, the size of all the Taurus LBR's is;

Large Frame, Square.

I've been told mine is a model 66 silhouette medium frame ?

When people ask stupid questions, I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers