Chassepot

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

Chassepot

#1 Post by pe4king »

Hi all a quick question, my dad has just got himself a Chassepot 11mm rifle, if it was put onto ticket how easy would it be to make the paper cartridges and cast the bullets sorry boolits . I think this would be best directed to Dromia over to you Adam
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Chassepot

#2 Post by dromia »

Well making the cartridges is not that difficult the trick is getting the primer positioned correctly in the cartridge for the needle to detonate it effectively.

Before loading you need to be certain the obturating seal is in good condition and that the needle is in good condition and the proper length. I sold my Dreyse last year as the needle evntually gave up the ghost and I couldn't be bothered to get it replaced when some one made me a good offer on the rifle as it was.

You will need nitrated paper, easy to make. 12mm card discs to take the top hat primer, black powder say Swiss no 4 and a 43 calibre bullet, the lyman ones could do but I'd suggest slugging your bore first.

A bit of patience is also needed. The Chassepot was different from the Dreyse in that it had the primer in the base of cartidge rather than next to the boolit in the Dreyse so the Chassepot needle had a shorter throw.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
pe4king

#3 Post by pe4king »

Adam thanks for that I dont think we will be doing any just yet, but I have not managed to find a great deal of info on making the cartridges, however there are some youtube clips of them being fired, (quite impressive)
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Just get back to me when your ready to go and I'll talk you through it. Slug your bore, when we have a size I'll see what moulds/boolits I have and send you some to get you going.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
pe4king

#5 Post by pe4king »

Thanks for that Adam, Ill let you know when he is ready