Just starting times four

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Thomas Turner

Just starting times four

#1 Post by Thomas Turner »

I am refering to a father and 3 (2 adult) children all starting together, it's probably an unusual scenario in that we all live in the same house, will go to the range at the same time and can pool resources ( not that we have many) so we will be asking many questions no doubt, I've allready discovered the gun safe question is complex, which gun, and which scope or what to look for that will best suite spec wearers will be comming in time, so far as we have only had a go on 4 guns it's early days, and whilst the long pistol is great, I reckon we will be leaning toward rifles and if I am right because we can at the range use each other's, then variety may be the order of the day at least at first, I'll leave it at that because it's a story just begining, but if its a familiar one, do tell smile2
LeighC
Home club or Range: BM&BLGC, Chippenham RPC

Re: Just starting times four

#2 Post by LeighC »

Hi Thomas, the gun safe question isn't necessarily a complex one, buy the biggest one you can afford! However big you think will be enough, double it :o)

As for the rest of it, I'm with you on the LBP, they're an abomination and I can't get on with them at all. Rifles, well it will come down to the disciplines that you will shoot and what interests you - whether that be historic military, modern military (as far as is legal) or ultra hi-tech sniper systems. Whatever you buy, it will probably never be enough!
If guns kill people, then spoons make you fat!

.22 GSG5-SD; .22 GSG MP40; .22 GSG Stg 44; .303 1917 SMLE; .303 1944 No.5; 7.62 Mosin Nagant; 30-06 M1917 Eddystone; 7.5 MAS 36; 7.62 Mauser K98; 12g Beretta 686; 12g Ugartechea; 28g Yildiz
Dave Sattar

#3 Post by Dave Sattar »

Hi Thomas,

One issue to note about your gun safe is who will have access to it.

While you and your sons may all have individual FACs and each own one rifle, if they're stored in one gun safe to which you all four have access, then you will probably need to have everyone's rifles on everyone's FAC, regardless who who actually *owns* each rifle.

At any rate, a point to clarify with your local police firearms officer before you go looking for gun safes.

As four adults it may be simplest to have 4 individual gun safes to which only the relevant owner has access. That way each owner has only their own rifle on their FAC. However, it'll be more expensive, will require x4 lots of Rawlplugs/Araldite/masonry drills etc and will take up more space than a single large safe.

Regards,

>> Dave Sattar <<
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Welcome to the forum Dave.

Why not introduce yourself on the New Members forum?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Thomas Turner

#5 Post by Thomas Turner »

As four adults it may be simplest to have 4 individual gun safes to which only the relevant owner has access. That way each owner has only their own rifle on their FAC. However, it'll be more expensive, will require x4 lots of Rawlplugs/Araldite/masonry drills etc and will take up more space than a single large safe.
There is a plan slowly comming together, and you're right individual safes will be our direction.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by IainWR »

Some licensing authorities are happy to deal with this situation by writing a condition on each certificate that the holder may also possess the firearms held on the other certificate. Karen and I have this, and it works really well. We can both have the keys, both carry each other's guns and only one certificate has to change when a gun is bought or sold. When we go abroad we can quite often get away with one permit in the overseas country and one set of airline / airport charges. Our FACs are with Surrey, who are very good indeed, I have seen the same approach from other forces. We used to be with Thames Valley, who were happy to put all the guns on both certificates, which achieves the same thing but is a bit more complicated when you buy or sell one.
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#7 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Our situation is similar to Ians. My ticket has "the holder of this certificate may also borrow and use as required, firearms belonging to xxxxx. What way we only need one safe and more importantly can legally take each others firearms out without the other being present.

They (Staffs) did start to dual list each rifle but changed to this generic condition when they started asking for variations to add each rifle on to the others FAC.

The only slight issue is that you don't get a higher ammunition allowance to cover the use by more than one person. Best to ensure that the primary person has enough allocation on their ticket. bangbang
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
Thomas Turner

#8 Post by Thomas Turner »

I figure on getting an 8 gun safe myself, which given we aren't rich could do for all of us for the first few years, and if we have to go down the multiple safe route, which may as has been said be simpler, what is clear is that the system allthough under one law can be open to many interpretations by local police force's firarms licensing departments, which begs the question does anyone get the run around when the officer responsible retires or moves, or does the new guy have to go along with what the old guy said for that licence holder, yet refuse identical conditions for someone in the same area in a new instance?
I reckon that the best route in the end is to discuss it with them, it's early days and allready we have the bug, seeing the sense if that is the right word of having a collection of different guns, we've only tried a few and I like all of them, so even though it may take a decade I could fill my own safe smile2
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

We have a few safes here and I do agree, go for the biggest one you can find/afford/fit into the house, same goes for ammunition lockers.

We both have a condition on the front that basically says we can legally be in possession of FAC holder xxx rifles and ammunition and have shared access to the safes. This has to be a lot cheaper than buying multiple safes as it costs nothing and means we do not both have to apply for a new variation when one of us, OK the Viking buys yet another rifle...

We are also both RFD's which makes life easier in some ways although any firearms held on the RFD ticket have to be clearly segregated and logged.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

Thomas Turner wrote: whilst the long pistol is great, I reckon we will be leaning toward rifles and if I am right because we can at the range use each other's
If the LBR(s) are listed on everyones FAC you can all use them the same way you could a 'normal' Section 1 firearm :good:
DVC