Rear Monopod

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

TobyH

Rear Monopod

#1 Post by TobyH »

Is there any other maker of the rear monopod to fit a 'standard' rifle stock other than AccuShot?
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." - Dick Sharples
Dangermouse

Re: Rear Monopod

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

Just had a quick look at Brownell's, the only one I can see is this
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2705 ... ER_MONOPOD
A nice idea but would of course alter the length of your stock, If you look at the quick release on it I can imagine Ovenpaa coming up with something similar for a £10!

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Toby, have you considered making one yourself?

EDIT - A tenner!!

Has to be at least GBP12...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TobyH

#4 Post by TobyH »

Interesting idea, not sure that would work for what I want though.

I'll have to think about how I can make one, need a little thinking time!
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." - Dick Sharples
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Is the stock solid right through?

As a simple idea, how about machine an aluminium tube with a coarse thread and then let it into the butt where the 'pod needs to go, it can be held in with epoxy and flushed off to give a neat and discrete finish, then you can screw a shaft with a rounded foot in and out to adjust height and add a lock nut in the form of a knurled ring to lock to height.

A more controllable method would use a speed thread however sourcing it may be a problem, or maybe a foot with grooves in it and short adjuster at the bottom with a detent plunger acting as the coarse incremental control.

S'easy! Plus so much more fun to build your own ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

Re: Rear Mono pod

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

then you can screw a shaft with a rounded foot in and out to adjust height and add a lock nut in the form of a knurled ring to lock to height.
Just realised that I have the very thing x 4, in my children's stair gate. They are used to fix the gate in place and have large rubber feet.

Maybe a plan for later on, but as they are not used in F Class, a mono pod would have little use on my current rifle,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I was talking to Toby about this today, he uses a monopod as a hand grip as much as anything hence his interest in finding/making one, and yes a catch off some types of child gate would be the basis of one ;)
/d

Shed Journal