Yacht share

Anything non shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Yacht share

#1 Post by shugie »

Don't panic, this is not a timeshare scan.

I've owned some shares in a private syndicate that owns/uses and self maintains a 36' Van De Stadt Excalibur yacht based in Poole. I bought in to the group in about 1986, and and a couple of the existing owners bought their shares well before that, so it's a very long running syndicate. The owners sail together a fair amount, and do all the maintenance work, we hardly ever call on a yard to do work for us. With mooring, winter storage ashore, maintenance/replacements we spend between 5K-6K most years, occasional major improvements, such as the recent addition of AIS and a roller furling jib we clubbed together for. We have sailing charges which raise, hopefully, enough money from the use of the boat to cover all the costs.

The yacht was built in 1969 by Southern Ocean Shipyard in Poole, at a time when glassfibre construction was in its early days, and as a result the hull is built in the same thickness as if it had been made of wood. This makes it very strong, but rather heavy, so in combination with a long keel, going upwind in heavy weather is a lot more comfortable than a lot of more modern boats, but downwind in light airs can be slow. A few years ago we were hit square on the side by a Lloyds Bank syndicate boat during the Round the Island Race, and the damage was quite slight after a collision which might well have sunk a lightweight racing boat. The inside is basic, seven berths, galley (kitchen) and heads (toilet), no heating, no running hot water, so lacking in the creature comforts. But a classic boat that can sail well in typical English channel conditions. Excaliburs have done round the world trips quite happily, and I have a great deal of faith in ours.

For some reason, British seagoing craft always have 64 shares, and I own 17 of them. This year, thanks to a young family, one of whom can be profoundly seasick in the mildest of conditions, I've not gone sailing (and taking up shooting has not helped if I'm being honest about it). I'd like to find someone to buy some of my shares, not because I'm in urgent need of the money, but because as a group we need to find one or two people to increase the amount of sailing happening, and to help with the maintenance. Anyone who wants to skipper the boat must hold RYA Yachtmaster, and be approved by the other skippers. Before we agree to sell a share, we ask that the purchaser come sailing with us to see if we all get on, so it's a long way from a hard sell!

I very much hope to get on the last sail of the season on 27/28th, and if anyone who might be interested in considering buying a share wants to come along, they'd be welcome. As always, sailing is weather dependent, so precise plans will be made nearer the time. I'd be looking to sell four of my shares for £1000.
Careful now/that sort of thing