Finally got it back!

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Steve12345

Re: Finally got it back!

#11 Post by Steve12345 »

walesdave wrote:Hope you don't mind me being nosey, but is it on 7.3 or deactivated?
Hi, no that’s fine, I’m new to this but happy to discuss. It is still live and held on an FAC sec 7, happy for you to PM me if you want, my FAC doesn’t allow ammo or for it to be fired as it stands, which is what I wanted.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#12 Post by bradaz11 »

45acp on a sec 7.1??
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
walesdave

#13 Post by walesdave »

Steve12345 wrote:
walesdave wrote:Hope you don't mind me being nosey, but is it on 7.3 or deactivated?
Hi, no that’s fine, I’m new to this but happy to discuss. It is still live and held on an FAC sec 7, happy for you to PM me if you want, my FAC doesn’t allow ammo or for it to be fired as it stands, which is what I wanted.
Well done for going through the process and not going the (government preferred) route of handing it in for destruction - it would have ended up in yet another news item about 'surrendered weapons' in the next amnesty.

Was your local FEO helpful in applying for an FAC? My force area is very 'anti handgun' and doesn't allow humane dispatch etc. I have a feeling they'd be quite obstructive when applying for an heirloom 7.1 but you never know.

Anyway, congrats for keeping it for posterity and hope it gets handed down through a few more generations :good:
walesdave

#14 Post by walesdave »

bradaz11 wrote:45acp on a sec 7.1??
Just had a quick read of the guidance and possibly this qualifies as a Sec 6 handgun (which I never knew existed until 10 minutes ago!).

"No ammunition should be included on a certificate relating solely to a trophy of war. Handguns may be retained as trophies of war under section 6 of the 1997 Act" - FYI, the next paragraph implies a trophy of war classification applies to firearms "held as family heirlooms".

Steve12345, you got to keep a historic firearm and provoked an interesting discussion....well done cheers
Steve12345

#15 Post by Steve12345 »

walesdave wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:45acp on a sec 7.1??
Just had a quick read of the guidance and possibly this qualifies as a Sec 6 handgun (which I never knew existed until 10 minutes ago!).

"No ammunition should be included on a certificate relating solely to a trophy of war. Handguns may be retained as trophies of war under section 6 of the 1997 Act" - FYI, the next paragraph implies a trophy of war classification applies to firearms "held as family heirlooms".

Steve12345, you got to keep a historic firearm and provoked an interesting discussion....well done cheers
Hi Walesdave,

The FEO team have been great to be honest, I can't fault them at all. I have spent a great deal of time reading the guidance and there are a few references to trophies of war / heirlooms. For a pistol the decision can be made at local level and does not need authority from the Secretary of State.

Also has this in as well..

"The term “trophy of war” is not defined in legislation, but is generally held to refer to firearms either carried on active service or captured from the enemy. The term may be interpreted fairly widely when persons of good repute wish to retain possession of a firearm without the associated ammunition"

This was brought back from Berlin it turns out, and has been held by the original owner (my Grandad) all this time and has stayed in the family as an heirloom. It was also obtained before 1946 and is not property of the Government. According to guidance all of the above need to be met or it can't be considered a trophy of war. Not sure how many firearms are still around that would match all that criteria to be honest?
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#16 Post by DaveB »

Steve12345 wrote:Thanks all, any issues with dry firing etc. or ok to do? I read mixed things over what will cause damage baring in mind it's age and don't want any original parts damaged ideally.
There is normally no issue with dry-firing a 1911 - they are a very robust pistol. Certainly service issued pistols would have been dry-fired on an almost daily basis. However given your worries, I would not sit there of an evening in front of the TV and dry fire it a for hours. A few times every once in a while should not hurt it.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Sim G »

I’ll echo what Dave said, no one dry fires weapons like the military! But, you could always get a set of snap caps…

https://www.brownells.co.uk/DELUXE-SNAP ... -055806045
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Steve12345

#18 Post by Steve12345 »

Thank you both, someone had mentioned the snap caps but I couldn’t remember what they were called until you just reminded me!

As you say Dave probably won’t happen very often, it will likely not come out the safe much as no need. Only occasionally perhaps if family want to see it or to clean / oil it.