Centrefire LBP?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

Centrefire LBP?

#1 Post by J4mes »

Does anyone make a straight pull LBP in centrefire pistol calibres?

As in you'd have to rack the slide to eject/chamber a cartridge, rather than being a .22lr semi auto?

I thought I saw something on a site a few weeks ago but I can't for the life of me remember where, and I'm not convinced I didn't imagine it. helpsign

thankssign
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Centrefire LBP?

#2 Post by Sim G »

Midway U.K. when they were still going launched a project for a "lever release" pistol based on the Tongfolio. That didn't go anywhere and now definitely can't because of legislation since then. And a straight pull CF pistol I can't see that being picked up by anyone for manufacture. Why would they bother.

I'd imagine the market for all long barrel handguns is pretty much dead. Most of those offered have been medium quality at silly prices. When Volquartsen were brought in, perhaps things looked up, but far too pricey and limited quantities to make any impact. And if looking for one of them, you better have deep pockets, as with the Sig P226s that a handful were produced. That's actually my grail gun at the minute.

I thought Glock might have tinkered with their G44 for the U.K. market considering they have the U.K. police and now military market tied up. But again, why would they bother for perhaps a couple of thousand units?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#3 Post by poll007 »

I agree with Sim G
the other factor is getting something to pass the "not easily convertable" test

Most straight pull rifles are locked breech gas operated guns that have simply been made without a gas system-essentially making it no different to something like the swiss K31.

most modern pistol designs use some form of blowback meaning any attempt at a centerfire pistol would need to be designed almost from the ground up.

A possible solution to this would be long barreled Welrod which is bolt action but otherwise i cant think of a magazine fed pistol that isn't semi auto.

you also have some of the Hushpuppy pistols which are semi auto but have a switch to make them single shot- but I don't think they would pass muster with the home office without significant R&D
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by 1066 »

I have a straight pull 5 shot pistol in.32 :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#5 Post by WelshShooter »

1066 wrote:I have a straight pull 5 shot pistol in.32 :)
That's a patriot right? I know someone who has one of these and he always brags about how long a tub of powder lasts him!

#6 Post by 1066 »

WelshShooter wrote:
1066 wrote:I have a straight pull 5 shot pistol in.32 :)
That's a patriot right? I know someone who has one of these and he always brags about how long a tub of powder lasts him!
Indeed - about 6,000 shots from a 1lb tub of Bullseye. :)
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#7 Post by poll007 »

how does the patriot work?

I get that is uses the magazine as a muzzle loader with ball and powder pushed in and im guessing a 209 primer or cap on the back, but how do you recock and reindex it between shots?
JammyGuns

#8 Post by JammyGuns »

It's not completely out of the realms of possibility as some companies have of course produced LBP/LBR versions of what are otherwise their normal handguns, and it seems to happen enough (albeit at a slow trickle over the yrs) to whereby enough of a return is just about being made. It's just unlikely and as above there are added complications with a centrefire.

Perhaps you were thinking of this: https://www.valmontfirearms.com/rifles/ ... ifles/1143 I'm not sure how they've done it here in disabling the delayed blowback.

Actually were these even made and brought here in the end, or is this just an old ad for something that never was?

#9 Post by 1066 »

poll007 wrote:how does the patriot work?

I get that is uses the magazine as a muzzle loader with ball and powder pushed in and im guessing a 209 primer or cap on the back, but how do you recock and reindex it between shots?
The "magazine" is loaded with, in my case 1 and bit grains of powder and a .32 cal wadcutter bullet and a standard small pistol primer x 5 shot (some "magazines" are 6 shot)

The block is inserted in the left side of the pistol, the underside of the block has machined zig-zag pattern. (Like a Webley Fosbery revolver)

As you rack back the action, just like you would for a semi-auto pistol, the block indexes along one stop and cocks the firing-pin. Shoot and do the same again.

The pistol was designed so we could still compete in international UIT centrefire competitions after the handgun ban. The centrefire match is 60 shots at 25 yards, 30 straight precision followed by 30 shots on the turning duelling targets. The duelling phase was target face for 3 seconds then turn away for 7 seconds, all shot in strings of 5 shots. The 7 seconds away gave plenty of time to re-cock the pistol.

Unfortunately the pistol was expensive to make and with pistol pistol ranges/clubs all but gone there was not enough demand to make it a viable proposition.

Once it's loaded it's no different than shooting any other qood quality .32 target pistol, and just as accurate.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

The Patriot was the only post handgun persecution ban that I gave armoury space and range time to.

Loved the gun and shooting it, the only thing missing from it was a bit of recoil, you need that now and again just for the hell of it.

There is always my repro Walker and Ruger Old Armies though if I am feeling like a bit of enforced wrist torque, but still not as good in that department as my .454 Casul was.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/