Ported barrel long barrel pistol

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Capnball

Ported barrel long barrel pistol

#1 Post by Capnball »

I've a slot on my fac for a .22 lbp. Anyone got any experience with the k22 whisperer or ported barrel Walther? Is there much reduction in sound?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Ported barrel long barrel pistol

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

I've seen one shot a few times but its always been with the moderator off, so it was actually slightly louder than a normal K22 lol But thats because I only ever see them being used in competitions where a shot timer needs to be able to pick up the sound of the shot. Presumably with the moderator applied this would have been an issue?

Unless you have some land you can shoot it on which is noise sensitive, persoanlyl I don't see the point of them, other than the coolness factor
DVC
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#3 Post by meles meles »

Something which is often overlooked regarding moderated firearms, but which most RCOs will agree is a good thing, is the enhancement to safety that they bring. It's actually far easier to control a range, and for everyone present to be aware of instructions being issued, if the general noise levels are lower. Hearing protection still needs to be worn, but the voice commands are more effective and the RCO can have a much beter sense of what's going on around and behind them too.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
SeaMonkey

#4 Post by SeaMonkey »

I bought my K22 mid 2018 for practical 3 gun comp use. I also have land that I can use it on so went for the Whisper model to draw less attention in use.
Is it any quieter than the standard barrelled K22? I can't really say that you can tell, it may be so but, if it is, it's not by much and also ammunition dependant.
I run mine without the mod sleeve/cover on now as the ported barrel blows crap into it and it's a real pain in the a** to clean.
I absolutely love my K22, it's the best out there and the build quality is top notch but if I was buying again I wouldn't go for the Whisper, I would go for the standard K22 X-Trim.
Scott at Caledonia Classic Arms did try to tell me about the extra cleaning requirements necessary with the Whisper before I bought it, did I listen? Obviously not lol
I hope this helps

#5 Post by 1066 »

The only ported barrel pistol I've shot is a rapid fire competition Unique VO79 in .22 short. Really hardly knew you had shot it. Also the old Vostok/Margolin semi-auto with the muzzle brake/weight worked well. You really got to do what you can to tame the fierce recoil of those .22's :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
SeaMonkey

#6 Post by SeaMonkey »

1066 wrote:The only ported barrel pistol I've shot is a rapid fire competition Unique VO79 in .22 short. Really hardly knew you had shot it. Also the old Vostok/Margolin semi-auto with the muzzle brake/weight worked well. You really got to do what you can to tame the fierce recoil of those .22's :)
It sounds like both of those were a more efficient design than the K22 Whisper :good:
Capnball

#7 Post by Capnball »

Thanks for the responses, my thought was if its got to look like its a moderator it might as well act like one. Pleased to hear the K22 is so well received, I will probably go for one without the ported barrel.
GlockworkOrange
Home club or Range: Parkstone Gun Club

#8 Post by GlockworkOrange »

I haven't shot the ported PPQ but I did have one of the older Ruger 10/22 customs also made by Oceania Defence with the ported barrel 'moderator' system. It was absolutely useless, no discernible difference between a stock 10/22 and the £1000 'moderated' model. There were no baffles in the tube, it was literally just a load of holes drilled in the barrel with a pipe over it. I can't imagine the PPQs are any better if they use the same system.
bb2

#9 Post by bb2 »

I thought Long Barrel Pistols were only allowed to be used on club ranges and not on a 'bit of land'.
Blackstuff

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

If you've got a 'good reason' you can use them for anything any other legal firearm can be used for.
DVC