Not another Glock

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

JammyGuns

Re: Not another Glock

#11 Post by JammyGuns »

Assembled into (what would be here) a Sec 5 Glock, is what I think was meant.
aris
Home club or Range: Watford

#12 Post by aris »

Yes it would have to be imported in its S1 form. Not outside the realms of impossibly.
JammyGuns

#13 Post by JammyGuns »

From what I understand; not just imported as Sec 1, but having never been assembled/built (or a part taken from) anything other than Sec 1?
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#14 Post by Gh0st »

JammyGuns wrote:From what I understand; not just imported as Sec 1, but having never been assembled/built (or a part taken from) anything other than Sec 1?
Nope, sec 5 only applies in the UK. As a long as it’s never a sec 5 in the uk it can enter in section 1 form.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
MistAgain

#15 Post by MistAgain »

Gh0st wrote:
JammyGuns wrote:From what I understand; not just imported as Sec 1, but having never been assembled/built (or a part taken from) anything other than Sec 1?
Nope, sec 5 only applies in the UK. As a long as it’s never a sec 5 in the uk it can enter in section 1 form.
That is pure and utter rubbish !
Gh0st

#16 Post by Gh0st »

MistAgain wrote:
Gh0st wrote:
That is pure and utter rubbish !
Which part? Section 5 is a UK law.

There are many pistols on the market now that were once a “normal pistol” notice the use of normal not section 5. They have been converted outside of the UK. So never existed in the UK as a section 5 firearm. As long as the pistol was never a section 5 inside the UK there’s no reason why it can’t be converted. We’ve discussed this many times I can’t find the thread but there was a case against one of the LBR that went to court in the UK and thrown out. Happy for you to provide evidence to the contrary tho...
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

MistAgain

#17 Post by MistAgain »

I asked Merseyside a couple of years back about a variation to get a S & W LBR and they made it quite plain to me that if it was converted from a normal S & W or had major parts from a normal S & W that met UK section 5 rules , regardless of the jurisdiction that it was converted in , it was a section 5 here .

Of course I could relocate to another area that has a firearms team who would be happy for me to have a converted S & W LBR , or if the dealer who is bringing these converted S & W's in was prepared to fully refund me and cover any legal costs if the police seize my gun , then I would order one from him .

But I think we all know that will never happen , so I will stick with my Alpha .
Gh0st

#18 Post by Gh0st »

Well Mersey side must be the only force with that opinion as there’s many in different areas?

Rarms
Past Supporter

#19 Post by Rarms »

Gh0st wrote:
Lets not bring all this up again. The law says once sec 5 always sec 5. It doesn't say that if it would fall under UK sec 5, but is in another country and then comes into the UK in kit form that it is not Sec 5. Pending a court challenge, that be the law. The local firearms department likely don't know one gun from another.

Just because people have guns here in the UK on a section 1 ticket does not make them section 1 and does not mean that if it comes to attention of powers that be there will not be repercussions. A chap on the airgunbbs back in the day posted a picture of him holding his new Sec 1 SPAS 12. Then someone pointed out it didn't have the barrel extension and was actually Sec 5. That went back to the dealer pretty sharpish!

I have had my ticket printed with permission to acquire a brocock SCGC gun, also sec 5 non transferable, again an error.

Some forces let you take an FAC airgun off ticket. Again this is illegal unless it is fitted with a 24" or longer barrel.

There is a reason Ron at Cactus is using aftermarket polymer lowers and not Glock receivers. I would suggest this is going to be one of the reasons.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#20 Post by Sim G »

Gh0st wrote: There are many pistols on the market now that were once a “normal pistol” notice the use of normal not section 5. They have been converted outside of the UK. So never As long as the pistol was never a section 5 inside the UK there’s no reason why it can’t be converted.

Completely wrong and contrary to the legislation you quote. Also contrary to the opinions of the Law Commission and the Iain WR of the NRA, their legal beagle!

Who ever gave you that "advice" at your licensing dept is wrong. You're more than welcome to quote me and if you want I'll give you my mobile number and you can pass it to them.

Converted firearms, whenever and wherever they were converted, are regarded as how they were originally manufactured before conversion, when the are imported into the UK.

So simply, a converted pistol to comply with UK specification, when imported into the UK cannot be imported as a S1 despite what has been done, as it will alway be regarded as a firearm in its original form. The law is self evident in that regard and the offence of the possession of that, is a strict liability offence.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!