b******!

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: b******!

#11 Post by Mattnall »

Dark Skies wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:Americans often seem incredulous when I recount the tale of how we meekly handed over our legal property when we had the means to say no.
I inevitably feel embarrassed.
We didn't have the means to say no if we had we would have ended up in Jail.
The Americans look at me and say things like "but you had guns - defend your rights."
And I have no real answer beyond "Brits won't fight for their rights - they have to have permission."

We all bent over and took it up the arse. Which is what will happen next time too.
It's really hard to explain to Americans who grew up with the 2nd Amendment (derived from our own Bill of Rights) how the government can just take our stuff.
I wonder how many of the 'molon labe' set would actually defend their (removed) right to own firearms. The police would come along to each individual one at a time and remove their firearms, unless you feel you want a shoot out with your husband/wife/kids behind you in a suburban house with no back up they will take them.
The only saving grace is those firearms that are not licensed or registered, then if you keep quiet they'll pass you by.
The preppers and groups hiding in the woods would most likely hold out for a few more days but the police would soon get their firearms too.
Easy to say "I'm not giving up my guns, come and take them" and that's great right up to the moment they knock on the door.

Many states have enacted stringent gun laws and partial bans/restrictions and the vast majority of owners complied, one way or the other, or moved away. Law abiding citizens will be just that.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#12 Post by shugie »

Well at least some of you got to shoot and own pistols, I have my LBP in 22RF, or can go to foreign lands (for the moment) to shoot what I would buy given the choice, a Glock.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#13 Post by Dark Skies »

Mattnall wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:
The Americans look at me and say things like "but you had guns - defend your rights."
And I have no real answer beyond "Brits won't fight for their rights - they have to have permission."
It's really hard to explain to Americans who grew up with the 2nd Amendment (derived from our own Bill of Rights) how the government can just take our stuff.
I wonder how many of the 'molon labe' set would actually defend their (removed) right to own firearms. The police would come along to each individual one at a time and remove their firearms, unless you feel you want a shoot out with your husband/wife/kids behind you in a suburban house with no back up they will take them.
The only saving grace is those firearms that are not licensed or registered, then if you keep quiet they'll pass you by.
The preppers and groups hiding in the woods would most likely hold out for a few more days but the police would soon get their firearms too.
Easy to say "I'm not giving up my guns, come and take them" and that's great right up to the moment they knock on the door.

Many states have enacted stringent gun laws and partial bans/restrictions and the vast majority of owners complied, one way or the other, or moved away. Law abiding citizens will be just that.
It's hard to say. Americans can get pretty chippy about the Second Amendment and the concept of property rights.
If I were an American politician or senior copper I'd think long and hard whether I wanted another Waco disaster.

When I lived in Ohio I met some pretty crusty looking guys in a series of pickups. My attention was first drawn to the number of armed men sitting in the flat beds as we were filling up our Buick 'boat'. My Brit accent was noticed and we got to talking and they informed me they were off to a local gun show "to stock up."
I wasn't aware of this show and we immediately changed our plans for the day and followed them. I saw them around the show and later filling their trucks with crates. They made some SERIOUS purchases. There are guys like these all over the USA
I wouldn't want to bet my career on them just handing over their stuff peaceably.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Mattnall

#14 Post by Mattnall »

There will be a few groups around that no doubt will cause trouble but I would think the majority of owners will obey the law.

Otherwise you will suddenly become a criminal and then the whole job/home/family issue will become difficult and life itself on the run, I guess, wouldn't be fun and they'll eventually find you when you run out of money. If you own purely for defence and 'no one knows' they'll most likely keep them but target shooters will suddenly have nowhere to shoot.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#15 Post by kennyc »

well I have a nice fresh acquisition form for up to 3 Rifles (semi auto or bolt) or Handguns and can't make my mind up as to what to buy :p the down side is I have to travel to a Beautiful Country far away in order to use them, the good news is I leave in a few weeks for an organised week of compettion bangbang
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#16 Post by Dark Skies »

Mattnall wrote:There will be a few groups around that no doubt will cause trouble but I would think the majority of owners will obey the law.

Otherwise you will suddenly become a criminal and then the whole job/home/family issue will become difficult and life itself on the run, I guess, wouldn't be fun and they'll eventually find you when you run out of money. If you own purely for defence and 'no one knows' they'll most likely keep them but target shooters will suddenly have nowhere to shoot.
It's not for me to speculate. The sheer weight of numbers and the logistics of confiscating guns from a nation that has held unregistered firearms since the first person stepped off the Mayflower almost certainly makes this an academic argument.

Target shooters will always have somewhere to shoot. I own several BP pistols in Washington (state) and we just go out into the vastness of the countryside, set up cans, and enjoy the hell out of banging away all afternoon and never see a soul.
The vastness of their countryside is just too much to comprehend. Whole towns have been swallowed up in their dense forests never to be found again unless by accident.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
BamBam

#17 Post by BamBam »

I sold my handguns in 2003, got back what I paid. In retrospect I shouldn't have sold all of my reloading gear.
Mattnall

#18 Post by Mattnall »

Dark Skies wrote:
Target shooters will always have somewhere to shoot.
I was a pistol shooter here in the UK before, now I have nowhere to shoot them legally even if I had somehow managed to avoid the hand-in. OK there is S7 etc. but generally if something is banned then there is nowhere to shoot them (except on the streets where the only handguns are these days).

Tacticool
Home club or Range: EMMR

#19 Post by Tacticool »

Well now thanks to Gina Miller and her total disregard for democracy we now have a precedent to go to the Supreme Court to overrule anything the government comes up with regards to firearm confiscation, silver linings and all that!

Sent from my boing using "An application"
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#20 Post by kennyc »

Tacticool wrote:Well now thanks to Gina Miller and her total disregard for democracy we now have a precedent to go to the Supreme Court to overrule anything the government comes up with regards to firearm confiscation, silver linings and all that!

Sent from my boing using "An application"
I tend not to get into political discussions on this forum, but that is pure hogwash! now if you had said, Gina Miller and her total disregard for certain parties willingness to bend the Democratic process to obtain a populist target, then I would agree with you, but to claim that upholding the rule of Law and using the tools available to enforce that law is undemocratic is wrong.