Another New handgun

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

Another New handgun

#1 Post by rufrdr »

I sold some firearms recently around by birthday so I used a small portion of the proceeds to buy a Uberti Single Action 'El Patron' mounted cowboy shooting model with a 4" barrel in .45 Colt.

The El Patron model has a lowered hammer and slicked up action with a light trigger pull. The CMS version has a shorter barrel for use by those who do the mounted shooting competition firing from horseback with blanks at balloons while riding at full tilt.

I don't ride horses and I surely wouldn't be shooting firearms from horseback if I did ride them but the thought of being the Patron was irresistible. At a previous job the Hispanic crew called me "Jeffe" so I feel that Patron is a promotion.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Another New handgun

#2 Post by 20series »

Ooh that's pretty, not jealous at all aaarggh

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#3 Post by johngarnett »

Lovely!! Sorry can't type for tears!!
JohnG
AL8

#4 Post by AL8 »

look forward to a range report
rufrdr

#5 Post by rufrdr »

It's been to the range once so far. For the first 18 rounds I had an instance on the same chamber when cocking with the cylinder not quite rotating far enough to catch the hammer all the way back. After that all was fine. Very light trigger pull and everything clicks right into place. With my handloads it shot a bit low so I used a center hold and got some nice grips. I'm happy although I would have preferred the usual 5.5" barrel that I like on single actions but this is all they had. I had money in my pocket and it was burning a hole so I had to spend it quickly!

Jack Harper
rufrdr

#6 Post by rufrdr »

rufrdr wrote:It's been to the range once so far. For the first 18 rounds I had an instance on the same chamber when cocking with the cylinder not quite rotating far enough to catch the hammer all the way back. After that all was fine. Very light trigger pull and everything clicks right into place. With my handloads it shot a bit low so I used a center hold and got some nice grips. I'm happy although I would have preferred the usual 5.5" barrel that I like on single actions but this is all they had. I had money in my pocket and it was burning a hole so I had to spend it quickly!

nice groups not nice grips!

Jack Harper
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

Is that the 3.5" version? The pics make it hard to tell. The CMS only came in 3.5 or 4" if memory serves. I still have my 4 3/4" blackpowder Cattlemen. Had it well over 10 years now and it still makes me smile. But how I'd love to be dropping bit Colt cases through that loading gate....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
rufrdr

#8 Post by rufrdr »

It is the 4". I prefer 5.5" in a Single Action but this one feels nice in the hand.

Jack Harper