It’s Glock o’clock

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

RDC

Re: It’s Glock o’clock

#51 Post by RDC »

TRG-22 wrote:Playing D.A. I would say because it's too soon to say whether it will turn out to be of any historical importance whatsoever.
There are many people with an interest in the development and procurement of small arms. It's already of historic interest because it happened and was important to the selection of what is now issued.

Something doesn't need to be in the distant past to be of historical interest or significance.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#52 Post by bradaz11 »

TRG-22 wrote:Well, I guess "history" means any time in the past, but I would have doubted that a handgun from 8 years ago was of "historic importance".

Are you allowed to shoot it? And if I've understood the rules, it, per se , is not a S7.3 firearm, i.e. if you anted to sell it the buyer would have to make the case all over again for it being 7.3 to him?
Is brexit of historical importance?
It is a sec 7.3 firearm, but they are not transferable as such. But as it has been shown to meet a condition of 7.3, of someone else has a similar collection to mine, and made the same points as to why the gun fulfilled these clauses, then they should be able to have it as 7.3 themselves.
So if I wanted to sell my trials Steyr m9a1, which is currently on my ticket, the buyer would need a copy of the letter from the importer who bought them for the army to test, attesting that this particular gun was indeed pay of the trial. That would then be submitted to the police along with a supportting letter, the police would then either allow the variation themselves, or kick it up to the home office panel who would then tell the police to grant it, as they have already decided any gun used, meets the criteria for sec 7.3
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#53 Post by TRG-22 »

Point about historical importance well made.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
TRG-22

#54 Post by TRG-22 »

Just thinking - presumably "historical importance" doesn't just mean "in the UK"?

So potentialy there are handguns from military trials in other countries, where ownership is not so circumscribed as to make "being a collector" an attractive thing, and pushing up prices.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#55 Post by bradaz11 »

first sentence - correct - same as guns owned by police departments, if your collection is that sort of thing.
second sentence - you've lost me
TRG-22

#56 Post by TRG-22 »

What I meant was if you're in the USA and you want, for example, a SIG, you can just buy one, you don't have to be a collector to justify it, and whilst I'm sure there are collectors there I expect that almost everybody else would regard an interest in a particular example of a contemporary gun they can buy over the counter because that particular one was part of a military or law-enforcement trial, distinguished only by its serial number, as a bit nerdy.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#57 Post by bradaz11 »

no, they exist. ian from forgotten weapons seems to have contacts with folks who have guns like that