looking for information on GSG 1911

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

AL8

#1 Post by AL8 »

I am thinking of getting a UK GSG1911.
I see people mentioning type 1 and type 2, when did the change take place and what are the differences?
Also what are the problems/faults?
Thanks
majordisorder

Re: looking for information on GSG 1911

#2 Post by majordisorder »

Not sure on the date of change but the two main things to look out for are a cracked slide where the slide stop engages and a loose barrel due to the barrel retaining grub screw being missing. Neither of these are expensive fixes if they are damaged and need replacing, but you'd need a variation to get them replaced as they're separately serial numbered.
Black Rifle - Firearms, Ammunition, Vortex Optics, MDT Chassis, AR-15 accessories and "go-faster" bits for your Smith and GSG 1911
walesdave

#3 Post by walesdave »

I had one for a few moths but sent it back (got a refund from the dealer with no problem) as it failed to feed one or two rounds from every magazine.
I'll probably get another when time allows and hope my first experience was just unlucky.
The slide stop notch did disform after just a few rounds as the slide is soft metal (aluminium I think) and the stop appears to be steel. Interestingly a SIG branded GSG 1911 (I believe it is exactly the same as a UK GSG apart from the branding) at my clubs shop in Belgium has a steel insert at the front of the notch to fix this; I don't know if this has been done on any UK models?

Steel insert is the black bit at the front of the notch.....

walesdave

#4 Post by walesdave »

After half an hour trying to upoad a piccy! wallhead

JammyGuns

#5 Post by JammyGuns »

Mine (the mark 2 version) ran flawlessly but there were some things I didn't like about it which ended up being an added cost - namely the cheap and nasty plastic sights which I eventually replaced. I also have to be honest and say that from day one I never really got to grips with the accuracy either - I felt it varied, which yes could've been/probably was mostly me. But regardless I found it pretty wild from session to session compared to the other handguns I own or have shot.

I'm probably not going to be very popular here but the biggest problem I have with the gsg offerings though is the sheer weight of them. I'm sure that as the regular length pistol they were originally conceived to be that they're great, but as an lbp they're ridiculously porky and cumbersome. Iv'e handled some of the other offerings and find them much more "pistol-like" despite of course having exactly the same length requirements.

If you're not set on the gsg then the new Walther Gold Cup model is apparently lighter and fractionally better quality. More expensive but not hugely so. Might be worth a look for an alternative 1911.
The Racknload bloke just did a vid on one.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

The gsg is a great steels gun and lots of fun to shoot. Anything new will have the steel insert in and second hand, a missing barrel screw could mean its had an upgrade kit fitted which consists of a new guide rod, spring and barrel bushing.

They are a great cheap way into pistol shooting.

The Walther gold cup is supposed to be a really nice pistol but unlike the GSG, it’s not got the same internal design as a true 1911. Many 1911 upgrade parts can be made to fit the mostly standard GSG but the colt is a walther design inside so I’m led to believe by the reviews on it.

For the price of these, save up and get a brand new one, they’re great value. Take a look at the gsg firefly as well as you might prefer that. The 1911 is made for manly hands. The firefly fits great into little hands like mine. I can’t operate the slide release or mag release on my 1911 without twisting my hand but the K22, Firefly, PPQ and R22 Glock present no such issues.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

safetyfirst wrote:The gsg is a great steels gun and lots of fun to shoot. Anything new will have the steel insert in and second hand, a missing barrel screw could mean its had an upgrade kit fitted which consists of a new guide rod, spring and barrel bushing.

They are a great cheap way into pistol shooting.

The Walther gold cup is supposed to be a really nice pistol but unlike the GSG, it’s not got the same internal design as a true 1911. Many 1911 upgrade parts can be made to fit the mostly standard GSG but the colt is a walther design inside so I’m led to believe by the reviews on it.

For the price of these, save up and get a brand new one, they’re great value. Take a look at the gsg firefly as well as you might prefer that. The 1911 is made for manly hands. The firefly fits great into little hands like mine. I can’t operate the slide release or mag release on my 1911 without twisting my hand but the K22, Firefly, PPQ and R22 Glock present no such issues.
This /\ /\ /\

Although i'd caution against the Firefly, I don't know if it was just a few batches or the whole lot but there has been a recall on these.
DVC
AL8

#8 Post by AL8 »

thanks guys, I have tried a GSG and found it ok. Mind you that was only over 2 mags.
The firefly looks interesting, but I have not handled one.
More input always welcome
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#9 Post by 38Super »

My GSG (gen 2) has been great. I've shoot 297 twice in a row with mine so I'm happy with the accuracy and haven't yet felt the need to upgrade. Mine will cycle standard velocity ammo but is more reliable with HV. It was 100% reliable with the original 10 round mags. I'm now up to 16 in a mag but reliability is better with 15. I'm left handed so don't have a problem with the mag release but I did need to fit an Ed Brown right hand side safety. Very happy that it fitted directly into my old Safariland holster.
The only must-do mod is take out the magazine safety which is a Pita.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#10 Post by safetyfirst »

Blackstuff wrote: Although i'd caution against the Firefly, I don't know if it was just a few batches or the whole lot but there has been a recall on these.
There was one pistol that had a faulty barrel so they recalled them all. All the new stock has no issues as far as I’m told.