Accuracy of long barrel pistols

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

jack1
Home club or Range: Sittingbourne rifle and pistol club

Accuracy of long barrel pistols

#1 Post by jack1 »

Hi all
Why oh why is it all those I see on YouTube demonstrating the latest, newest, most improved long barrel pistol rattle off 10 rounds followed by another 10 but never ever show the accuracy? Never it seems target shooting just very rapid plinking.

Why do they not shoot 5 rounds from their 25yard / mtr firing point unsupported slowly and then show the viewer the results. Is that due to the fact the pistols are inherently inaccurate or are they just bad shots or both?

Can someone out there recommend a .22 LBP with REAL adjustable rear sights and front post that will group less then 3/4 of an inch unsupported (two handed) at 25 yards or metres using a target round. RWS or Ely? Am I deluding myself maybe such a thing doesn't exist. Do please tell me ........thanks
Jack
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Accuracy of long barrel pistols

#2 Post by Daryll »

I think the 1911 clones are all pretty much plinking guns.... the way the sights are attached to the slide and the barrel is seperate doesn't help precision.

With a fixed barrel and sights, maybe the Buckmark is more accurate..??
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Kungfugerbil »

jack1 wrote:Can someone out there recommend a .22 LBP with REAL adjustable rear sights and front post that will group less then 3/4 of an inch unsupported (two handed) at 25 yards or metres using a target round.
That's quite an ask - the shooter will have to be pretty handy indeed.

I used to shoot a K22 (one handed) and won my division in a couple of postal leagues, but was getting bigger groups than that for sure. The limiting factor in pistol shooting will always be the shooter not the gun.

The K22 (and more so the buckmark) are generally considered a better bet if outright accuracy is your bag.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Back in the day I used to shoot .22 handguns competitively it was not easy to shoot off hand at 25 yards with out lots of practice. I used to do Ok and won my share of trophies.I have tried long handled pistols in .22 and .38 special two of the calibers I used to shoot in the good old days. I could not hit a barn door with the long handled pistols one handed or two handed. I personally would not have one given I don't know what the fascination is with them. I would rather have a .22 bolt action or a .38 under lever rifle any day.

But if you must then rock on.
BamBam

#5 Post by BamBam »

The Volquartsen LBP is the only one I have seen shoot with such accuracy. Got a spare £2k?
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#6 Post by Dellboy »

Ive got a Buckmark and find its ok but i cant get anything like that accuracy ,but ive found it better and more solid than some other things ive tried .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#7 Post by the running man »

I have the edgar bros improved 1911gsg with vortex venom, i can get most through a 10p at 25m.....if i bench it the group gets tighter... I sold my k22 and pocketed the £400 difference..... You can also tune the trigger very easily on a 1911.
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
jack1
Home club or Range: Sittingbourne rifle and pistol club

#8 Post by jack1 »

Daryll wrote:I think the 1911 clones are all pretty much plinking guns.... the way the sights are attached to the slide and the barrel is seperate doesn't help precision.

I am aware of the configuration of a 1911 or any other pistol or revolver after over 30 years of target shooting. Yes adjustable rear sights and front post are critical to target precision target shooting of all kinds (UIT, PP1. service pistol. PPC) The position of the barrel have nothing to do with accuracy.

As a target shooter not a plinker I guess none of the current 1911 derivatives would be for me. I would guess the Volquartsen LPB from Stockade would be more what I need but they are very high priced
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#9 Post by TattooedGun »

jack1 wrote:
Daryll wrote:I think the 1911 clones are all pretty much plinking guns.... the way the sights are attached to the slide and the barrel is seperate doesn't help precision.

I am aware of the configuration of a 1911 or any other pistol or revolver after over 30 years of target shooting. Yes adjustable rear sights and front post are critical to target precision target shooting of all kinds (UIT, PP1. service pistol. PPC) The position of the barrel have nothing to do with accuracy.

As a target shooter not a plinker I guess none of the current 1911 derivatives would be for me. I would guess the Volquartsen LPB from Stockade would be more what I need but they are very high priced
Myself and my dad have been looking into the LBP's.

Basically you are talking about the Volquartsen for the utmost in accuracy, much like you'd go for a custom rifle for something of good level of accuracy in a rifle.

The Buckmarks as mentioned are a fixed barrel and likely one of the better firearms for serious target shooting as opposed to the moving barrel 1911's however there are many kits available to tighten up the tolerances and return the barrel to a consistent level of accuracy within the pistol for the 1911, however pictoral accuracy results are sparse, more likely you get anecdotal evidence from people who have spent their money and trying to justify the cost and effort.

Ideally what you'd want is not a free held level of accuracy test group as you describe, but one that takes the skill of the shooter out of the equation, in order to see the accuracy of the firearm, not the firer. If you can be confident of the firearm ability, then you know any inaccuracy is yourself.

There are not many firearms for sale in the UK that do any sort of accuracy test to show the ability. Some custom rifle manufacturers will tailor a load on CF rifles if paid for by the seller, and will post to the internet the best groups that they are capable of building, but not many will do this, and it's down to the exact rifle which in most cases has already been sold.

Some of the cheapest most accurate pistols we have witnessed at our club are the Taurus long barrel revolvers, again, due to the fixed nature of the barrel/sights.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#10 Post by TattooedGun »

Reads all past replies.

I've basically written a long and drawn out version of what Kungfugerbil stated...