Uberti Cattleman

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Uberti Cattleman

#11 Post by saddler »

Out of Proof (following cylinder work) & only Proofed for BP?

Probably an ideal candidate for prompt deactivation!
Be the safest option all round.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#12 Post by Lever357 »

Wow guys, many thanks for the advice. The guy selling it is someone I have known for a number of years and I know he has been a shooter for a very long time and would always respect his opinion. When I said in my original post, fill the chamber with normal pistol powder he does actually use the correct amount as per loading tables for .45ACP but I understand what you are saying about only using black powder and that video was very informative.

Many thanks to you all once again.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

in my nitro proofed uberti cattleman using shotgun primers, I would never put 5 - 5.5gr of bulleye or n340 in one. I also use 457 balls in mine, I would think a 451 bullet would be way too loose in the cylinder, and probably sits on the powder

in mine I use the ball, pressed just below the front edge of cylinder, and only use around a .3cc dipper of shotgun type powder like gm3 or n340. bearing in mind the shotgun primer will get the ball out of the barrel, and through a corrugated cardboard sheet 10ft away.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Sim G »

European manufactured B/P revolvers are CIP proofed to some 700kgp/cm2. This equates to a little under 10000psi. The SAAMI max average chamber pressure for .45ACP is 21000psi.

Appreciate a rough science give the difference in dimensions of chamber and case, but you get the idea...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#15 Post by Robert303 »

@Dark Skies, thanks for posting the video. It is to be hoped that Lever357 heeds all the warnings posted here.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#16 Post by Lever357 »

Robert303 wrote:@Dark Skies, thanks for posting the video. It is to be hoped that Lever357 heeds all the warnings posted here.
Lever 357 has definately heeded all the warnings here!!!
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Potter
Home club or Range: OFFAS dyke

#17 Post by Potter »

Here is my 1873 Uberti clone cattleman....barrel stamped in 44 cal black powder....however the cylinder and back plate are proofed for modern day Nitro powder..in this case 3.5 grains of bullseye...45 pure lead ball or such like...great to fire and easy to load...209 shotgun primers sit behind the rear cylinder plate. It's as close to the real pistol as this country will allow .....unless you have one of historical interest, but that's a different story........can't load image for some reason....doh!!!!
ArcofZen
Home club or Range: Tunnel Club Charmouth

#18 Post by ArcofZen »

Dark Skies wrote:What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XNWeMqCT0

Wow. That's a salutary lesson right there :run:
Wreck diving heaven... https://youtu.be/SC3QXpVy15s