Fugly or not ?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Blue Lizard
Home club or Range: North East Lincs Target Club

Re: Fugly or not ?

#61 Post by Blue Lizard »

JammyGuns wrote:Also like the idea of hanging onto 9mm if I have to hand in my LR at some point in the future.
Yep, my feelings too (but starting around 6 months ago, when I put my Rhino reservation in). Regardless of my SGC LR, I’ve got an Armalon in 9mm, so I’m going to be “9-milling” for the foreseeable future anyway!
DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#62 Post by DavidRees »

Would love one of these in .45ACP/.45AR...
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#63 Post by HH1 »

Blue Lizard wrote:
JammyGuns wrote:Also like the idea of hanging onto 9mm if I have to hand in my LR at some point in the future.
Yep, my feelings too (but starting around 6 months ago, when I put my Rhino reservation in). Regardless of my SGC LR, I’ve got an Armalon in 9mm, so I’m going to be “9-milling” for the foreseeable future anyway!
I was thinking the same thing when I too put in a variation for a Chiappa Rhino back in August. I just decided that I wasn't sure about the whole having to use moonclips thing. If they do take my SCG LR, I might consider a .44 version of the Rhino as well as this .357
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#64 Post by safetyfirst »

Don’t think you have to use anything. Moonclips work, speedloaders work, loading by hand works too.

Personally I’d always hand load unless I’m on a competition line where either seconds count or everyone would be waiting for me.

Outside of a competition, It takes less time to hand load than it does to load a speed clip or moon clip and then load that into the gun.

I’ve always loved thumbing rounds into an open revolver. It’s like a nice hand rolled cigarette vs the Marlboro light of a moonclip.

Yours, a romantic ex-smoker.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#65 Post by shugie »

safetyfirst wrote:Don’t think you have to use anything. Moonclips work, speedloaders work, loading by hand works too.

Personally I’d always hand load unless I’m on a competition line where either seconds count or everyone would be waiting for me.

Outside of a competition, It takes less time to hand load than it does to load a speed clip or moon clip and then load that into the gun.

I’ve always loved thumbing rounds into an open revolver. It’s like a nice hand rolled cigarette vs the Marlboro light of a moonclip.

Yours, a romantic ex-smoker.
I'm glad to learn it's not just me. But I think the 9mm needs the moon clips to hold the rounds, open to correction on that.

I'd love one, but would have to sell either my K22 or one of the children. And I have a Mateba which is a similar beast, although mine now has a fixed stock as a revolver carbine.
Careful now/that sort of thing
MistAgain

#66 Post by MistAgain »

Gh0st wrote:So someone on one of the Facebook groups was saying that the guy who helped “develop” these in conjunction with chiappa had been shafted by the UK importer? Anyone else know about this or what happened?
Yes , Richard did get totally shafted , either by Chiappa , or the new importer or even by both .

As for larger calibres , I am told there will almost certainly never be a 44 or 45 as they would need a totally different frame .

Just think , how long would an alloy frame 44 last ? .

I recall seeing a few Mod 29's that had frames warped due to heavy loads , so an alloy frame .........forget it .

And the 40 cal is a bit pointless .
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#67 Post by bnz41 »

Looks like they are selling out fast several dealers now saying sold out of the .357 pre order for end Jan 19.

So would seem not that Fugly :o
Tacticool
Home club or Range: EMMR

#68 Post by Tacticool »

Oh it’s Fugly alright but is lovely light well made revolver so the choice starved UK pistol shooter will flock to it!

Personally I am going to get a new shroud made for mine, I think it would look better with a chunky rectangular faux suppressor rather than than thin thing it comes with.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
MistAgain

#69 Post by MistAgain »

bnz41 wrote:Looks like they are selling out fast several dealers now saying sold out of the .357 pre order for end Jan 19.

So would seem not that Fugly :o
At a guess I would say the importer got 100 delivered .

I could accept that some dealers who only ordered 1 or 2 may be sold out , but I find it hard to believe that all the guns have gone from the importers .
Sim G
Past Supporter

#70 Post by Sim G »

MistAgain wrote:
Just think , how long would an alloy frame 44 last ? .

I recall seeing a few Mod 29's that had frames warped due to heavy loads , so an alloy frame .........forget it .

This is it in essence for me. This is not a new firearm, but a new model of the same basic gun. The gun has been around for nearly 10 years now. It was designed to be carried a lot and shot little. These are not designed for a steady diet of full power ammo. .44 Magnum operates at some 36000psi. Yes, it may very well batter the fame of the Rhino. Likewise, .357 Magnum and 9mm Para both operate at 35000psi. Rhino’s have previously been documented as giving way.

Moderate range use in the UK? 200 rounds a month? Full power, I’d reckon you’d batter one to death in a couple of years, tops. But, only one is designed so that lower power ammo can be used and that would be .38spl. At 17000psi.

I do hope the longevity is built in, but I’m really not convinced.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!