Fugly or not ?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

Re: Fugly or not ?

#81 Post by Gh0st »

FredB wrote:You have to remember that I am an antique and I shot pistol in the good old days for more than 30 years. In the UK, the 38 / 357 revolver owned by most club members was a model 19 in 357. I have a friend who still has his model 19---he moved it to the Ilse of Man---and he has put many thousands of rounds through it. I use my N frame model 27 once in a long range pistol shoot at ranges up to 300 yds and came second---I was beaten by a guy using a 4" barrel model 19.
I owned two 686 L frame revolvers in 357. In my opinion the L frame Smiths are the best designed and made revolver ever, with one exception: the Webley WG Target.
I also owned a Colt Python: expensive junk compared to the 686. My favourite Colt was a New Service Shooting Master in 357: built to a quality standard umkown in todays guns.

Fred
Fred, out of interest do you own a LBR now?
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#82 Post by FredB »

No: the only pistols that I own now are muzzle loaders---and black powder. I just can't accept that a LBR is a real pistol. I do have 14 rifles on ticket to keep me occupied, all but 3 antique / obsolete calibres. I am 77 years old and I don't have any rifles that are younger than I am. At the time of the hand in, I had 16 pistols and revolvers, mostly classics.
Fred
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#83 Post by BooBoo »

...and to think that I cried over two Glocks!

But 16 pistols and revolvers is on another level of never forgiving...

Happy Birthday Fred
Blue Lizard
Home club or Range: North East Lincs Target Club

#84 Post by Blue Lizard »

Well, I voted “not”, and mine came in today.

Definitely a change from the usual but with a good solid fit & finish, and a (light)weight which belies its image. A level above the feel of a Taurus (which, although I have access to, I could never bring myself to buy personally, especially after having shot S&W 686’s back in the pistol days).

Got mine directly from Richard Wilson, with his trigger tune job on it. Very light SA pull; the wide trigger demands an evenly centred finger pad to get the best response. DA pull is quite long, with a bit of a two-stage feel to it, but should be smooth enough when I’ve had a chance to get used to it.

Will be a little while til I have a live shoot of it, but already enjoying the novelty!
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#85 Post by HH1 »

Excellent Blue Lizard! I've had mine since before Christmas and I'm really pleased with it (.357 Mag, Nickel).
Put 200 + rounds through it.... factory and home-loads of .38 & .357. Found Titegroup powder to be nice and clean.

Oh and I've put a Vortex Viper Red Dot on mine which works rather well.
Blue Lizard
Home club or Range: North East Lincs Target Club

#86 Post by Blue Lizard »

Thanks HH1, and good to hear you're enjoying yours too! cheers

Being 9mm, mine is a bit of an insurance against potential loss of my SGC Lever Release (although I have lobbied my MP, who indeed came to visit our club for a full talk through and demonstration of the various types of firearm we use, and how the proposals would do nothing to increase public safety against a type of firearm which has never been used in a crime anyway!).

No rounds through mine yet, but planning on shooting similar 124gr FMJ loads to those I also throw through my Armalon PC.

Looking forward to shooting a wheel gun again on one of our club PPC comp nights, although we halved the size of the old man targets when we transitioned from pistols to rifles, so more of a challenge!
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#87 Post by HH1 »

Blue Lizard wrote:Thanks HH1, and good to hear you're enjoying yours too! cheers

Being 9mm, mine is a bit of an insurance against potential loss of my SGC Lever Release
Yes, I considered getting the 9mm version as I'm also in the same boat owning a 9mm SGC Lever release. I was a bit concerned about having to use moon-clips all the time..... but I've since read that you can use the gun without, except that the cartridges won't eject with the plunger if you don't use moon-clips.

I have a .357 Mag "JM" Marlin so it made sense in my situation to go with the .357 Mag version of the Rhino.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#88 Post by Sim G »

I think I’m going to be a bit controversial here...

I got to handle a 9mm as I was thinking of getting one. Liked the grip angle very much. Sighted really nice and the finish was good. But overall, it just didn’t “operate” nicely. Cylinder opening and closing reminded me of a Weirauch revolver. Cheap. Ejector rod and star were also “cheap”, with the star moving slightly and preventing it from fully seating. There was just too much play with the cylinder release as well before it unlocked the cylinder.

This model had a “match trigger” job done before delivery which felt light and crisp in single action and rolled through double action without too much stacking. I only dry fired it but watching the revolver being actually fired with factory S&B, the amount of light strikes indicated that the “match trigger job” was perhaps nothing more that a few coils lopped off the main spring.

And actually seeing how the steel standing breech sits in the alloy frame, with cartridges operating above 30000psi, I still wonder how these will stand up to regular club use.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#89 Post by Gh0st »

Sim G wrote:I think I’m going to be a bit controversial here...

I got to handle a 9mm as I was thinking of getting one. Liked the grip angle very much. Sighted really nice and the finish was good. But overall, it just didn’t “operate” nicely. Cylinder opening and closing reminded me of a Weirauch revolver. Cheap. Ejector rod and star were also “cheap”, with the star moving slightly and preventing it from fully seating. There was just too much play with the cylinder release as well before it unlocked the cylinder.

This model had a “match trigger” job done before delivery which felt light and crisp in single action and rolled through double action without too much stacking. I only dry fired it but watching the revolver being actually fired with factory S&B, the amount of light strikes indicated that the “match trigger job” was perhaps nothing more that a few coils lopped off the main spring.

And actually seeing how the steel standing breech sits in the alloy frame, with cartridges operating above 30000psi, I still wonder how these will stand up to regular club use.
Not contraversial, pretty much the same thoughts i had on handling one before Xmas, still not fired one, but would try it. But I’m not going to be trading in my S&W in for one teanews
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk