Which LBP

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

toffe wrapper

Which LBP

#1 Post by toffe wrapper »

Hi all

Happy new year :cheers:

After opinions on LBP I fancy a 44 or 357 revolver are the taurus ones any good.

TW
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Which LBP

#2 Post by saddler »

LBR surely?
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#3 Post by Geek »

toffe wrapper wrote:Hi all

Happy new year :cheers:

After opinions on LBP I fancy a 44 or 357 revolver are the taurus ones any good.

TW
I have handled both the above mentioned LBR's in my local shop (I too have the option for LBP on my FAC) and to be honest I was not too keen! The extension bar caused the LBR to be at a difficult angle to aim - eventually I will submit a variation to the LBP for something else.

Someone at my club uses a .22LR semi auto which felt much more comfortable to hold.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
JD4570

#4 Post by JD4570 »

I once had a 44 Mag Taurus LBR and the "dough paddle" extension it came with was a bit of a pest. However, when I sold it, the new owner got a bar/counterweight fitted and that was much nicer.

Watch out with the 44 Mag version as it can tend to shake itself to bits in the yoke area. Several times, I nearly lost the yoke detent and microscopic spring. Best use some threadlock on anything like that, expecially if you're going to be trying warm loads.

(Just in case - we don't carry spares as such, but I can sometimes find them if needed.)

Jon
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

Are they any good? Well probably not. If you were able to buy a comparable revolver from the free world it probably wouldn't be a Taurus.

For the money, you have no choice really. If money isn't an option, get a S&W from Germany. Or a Ruger. More expensive but better.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Matt
Home club or Range: Bisley

#6 Post by Matt »

Or you could consider a buntline in 44 or 357, single action with no annoying wrist brace......

My 44 shoots quite well and is very useable as the long barrel isn't that heavy (still not like the good old days of pistol shooting though)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

In all honesty, if you want to shoot "pistols" in the UK, there are better options than a LBR/LBP.

I've had an LBR Uberti Buntline that I chopped the barrel on and had a rod fitted and I have a Taurus .22. I would rather shoot B/P than LBR's but have the cartridge revolvers for the pure convenience of not having to clean them after an evening shoot.

My mate joined a "Heritage Club" and bought himself several "proper" handguns, but the leaving them at the range is starting to get on his t1ts....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#8 Post by the running man »

They are just hand held rifles, it'sgood that Iit sticks 2 fingers up to the establishment, but it's not the same, I tried and owned the 1911 tsc , the lmr 1911 and various forms of the buckmark,I also had a 44,.22 taurus and a buntline, i spent a lot of money trying to replicate the old pistol shooting feeling and it was a waste, as it's not there anymore , now I own 1 BP pistol now and rarely shoot that, but for those that get on ok with them that's great and good luck to you, me I'm not bothering again unless the pistol ban is lifted.......
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
toffe wrapper

#9 Post by toffe wrapper »

Hi all

Should have put LBR I now know they are not all classed as just LBP.

Nothing will replace the pistols I gave up but after somthing for a bit of fun at 25 > 50m that is multi shot and not black powder, 22lr or 9mm.

TW
Rburro2
Home club or Range: Uttoxeter rifle club

#10 Post by Rburro2 »

I have a Taurus .45acp lbr very accurate very little recoil and the quality isn't bad just get a straight rod conversion and your away