Which LBP

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Tony-c

Re: Which LBP

#11 Post by Tony-c »

I Im lucky enough to have handled a selection of LBR

taurus was light, trigger was easily made pretty smooth, but quality was poor.
buntline was fun, didnt shoot it much but its not much good for some comps due to the load 1 gate setup
S&W well that speaks for itself, heavy but beautiful
super redhawk, heavy, superb quality, very accurate
Alfa thing, well I picked it up and put it back down LOL

depending what you want to shoot, ie maybe 1500 match, then the buntline is out of the list as speedloads would be a challenge, Taurus are still very expensive for what they are and I beleive that spares availability is somewhat limited, S&W well you either need to get very lucky and be right place right time, or win the lottery LOL.
leaves the super redhawk, thats whats in my cabinet now, you cant get the trigger as light as the rest, the cylinder is the same as they use for the .454 but mines 6 shot .357 so it weighs a ton.
with simple tuning and springs I have a very useable trigger. not to mention that spares are in plentiful supply,
and they not silly money, I got very lucky with mine in a local gunshop that I think was unaware as to what it was.
just as I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel.......... I realised it was just my boss with more work and a torch.
GRSporth1
Home club or Range: Bangor

#12 Post by GRSporth1 »

Agree with TonyC's post above.

I used to own a Taurus in .45, it was never much good, their quality control seems non-existent. There are some good ones, I have shot a couple in .38 that felt OK and one in .44 that didn't.

The S&W conversions are first class, but £2500+ and an 18 month wait unless you are very lucky.

Alfa - No. Only ever seen one and there's a reason for that.

Super Redhawk - Own one in .44. Heavy but excellent gun. Needs the lighter springs and doesn't hurt to improve the sights if you shoot indoors.

If you are prepared to wait for a S&W or Ruger then you will end up with a decent gun. If you want one sooner, cross your fingers and buy a Taurus in .38.
Tony-c

#13 Post by Tony-c »

there are bargains out there

I went to the shop for some primers, saw the redhawk and a taurus next to each other, had an empty slot and just thought I be nosey and handle them as I had been thinking about getting an LBR, both were .357 so ideal sister guns to my Marlin

asked the price and he said £500, I said what about the ruger, he said they both 500

it was on the desk next to the till in seconds, with a loudly shouted "I'll take it, dont bother wrapping it" LOL

proof marks and serial number make it 2002, it was like brand new, later found out the previous owner bought it new, along with 100 rounds of ammo, 87 rounds were still unused :)

brilliant to work on, the trigger etc all drops out the bottom. I use federal primers and have so far been 100% reliable, would like the DA to be lighter, like my mates S&W but totally different actions and cylinder weights, so its not going to happen

I have done a lot of reading up about revolver shooting, and with change in grip and other tweaks its gradually becoming more natural.

tried it with a stunning burris scope but it was way too heavy, now have a green dot setup on it and Im getting pretty handy with it.

rubbish pic but gives you an idea of how "sturdy" the build is, believes its an N frame size
just as I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel.......... I realised it was just my boss with more work and a torch.
Swifty Boy

#14 Post by Swifty Boy »

Redhawk looks good. Does anyone have any pictures of the fabled S&W conversion as I don't think i've ever seen one?