.445 Gates and 41AE

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

.445 Gates and 41AE

#1 Post by dodgyrog »

I've been going through the spoils of my latest outing to the auctions where I bought several kilos of mixed pistol ammo. There is the usual pistol calibres which I can pull and use for my own shooting, but I have come across several 41AE rounds and one marked 445 Gates.
I had heard of the 41AE from my practical pistol days when IMI brought this round out to make Major calibre with a 9mm gun and a drop in replacement barrel. The case head is 9mm but the bullet (or cast boolit!) is 41 calibre giving the weight needed to get the necessary power and velocity.
The 445 Gates had me Googling though! Apparently a chap called Eligan Gates developed a few 'Supermag' rounds including this one and only Dan Wesson revolvers came out in them.
Has anybody else heard of these cartridges and has anybody shot either of them?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

Re: .445 Gates and 41AE

#2 Post by waterford103 »

I had a Jericho in 9mm and 41ae , still have some brass for the 41 , it worked well with either and was very accurate .Didn't like the slide mounted safety though ! They changed to a frame safety later but I think the govt had stolen our pistols by then ;¬(( **** :wales: :flag6:

A friend had a Gates DAN wesson , he lost a lot of mates by firing full power ammo at the range , it was enormously loud and the flash had to be seen to be believed ! I don't think he actually ever made a decent score with it , one on the target at 25 yds was a plus . clapclap
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Sandgroper

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

dodgyrog wrote:I've been going through the spoils of my latest outing to the auctions where I bought several kilos of mixed pistol ammo. There is the usual pistol calibres which I can pull and use for my own shooting, but I have come across several 41AE rounds and one marked 445 Gates.
I had heard of the 41AE from my practical pistol days when IMI brought this round out to make Major calibre with a 9mm gun and a drop in replacement barrel. The case head is 9mm but the bullet (or cast boolit!) is 41 calibre giving the weight needed to get the necessary power and velocity.
The 445 Gates had me Googling though! Apparently a chap called Eligan Gates developed a few 'Supermag' rounds including this one and only Dan Wesson revolvers came out in them.
41AE, yes - in the process of buying a set of dies off Saddler for a wildcat idea I'm toying with. ;)

445 Gates - never heard of it until now - going to have to look it up. :good:

Any chance of one of the 41AE cases (for my collection) and some 41 cal bullets for me to work with? fingerscrossed
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#4 Post by saddler »

Sandgroper wrote:
dodgyrog wrote:I've been going through the spoils of my latest outing to the auctions where I bought several kilos of mixed pistol ammo. There is the usual pistol calibres which I can pull and use for my own shooting, but I have come across several 41AE rounds and one marked 445 Gates.
41AE, yes - in the process of buying a set of dies off Saddler for a wildcat idea I'm toying with. ;)

445 Gates - never heard of it until now - going to have to look it up. :good:

Any chance of one of the 41AE cases (for my collection) and some 41 cal bullets for me to work with? fingerscrossed
Was wondering what ya needed the 41AE dies for!
MAY also have a spare case, but think I gave it away a while ago
Sandgroper

#5 Post by Sandgroper »

Yep, Secret Squirrel stuff! ;)
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.