Taurus LBR - Adjustable Brace?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Taurus LBR - Adjustable Brace?

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

The arm brace in the OP picture has simply been bent upward, no idea why. The metal the original braces are made of is quite malleable and can easily be bent into any configuration you want, and bent back .... ;) Wouldn't do it too many times though :squirrel:

The brace on the LBR i used to own was welded onto the frame of the pistol within the grip. I looked into getting it replaced and was told that an RFD/gunsmith with the applicable Section 5 permit would have to do the work as once the brace came off it would be a prohibited firearm until the new one went on
DVC
judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

#12 Post by judders »

Blackstuff wrote:The arm brace in the OP picture has simply been bent upward, no idea why. The metal the original braces are made of is quite malleable and can easily be bent into any configuration you want, and bent back .... ;) Wouldn't do it too many times though :squirrel:

The brace on the LBR i used to own was welded onto the frame of the pistol within the grip. I looked into getting it replaced and was told that an RFD/gunsmith with the applicable Section 5 permit would have to do the work as once the brace came off it would be a prohibited firearm until the new one went on
Thanks for confirming Blackstuff. I just called Portsmouth GC and they confirmed the same thing too, it just bends down to the level you want it. Apparently they often come in like that, perhaps they fit in the packaging better that way?

Portsmouth GC have stuck my name on that one and I'll collect when I get back from hols in a couple of weeks. Holiday followed by a new gun day when I get back. Nice. tongueout
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

Blackstuff wrote: The brace on the LBR i used to own was welded onto the frame of the pistol within the grip. I looked into getting it replaced and was told that an RFD/gunsmith with the applicable Section 5 permit would have to do the work as once the brace came off it would be a prohibited firearm until the new one went on

Yep, I was told the same thing. So I spoke with the HO. I gave them the scenario that if I disassembled one of my rifles, say the 10/22 and chopped the barrel down to 12", does that make it S5 as it can still fire out of the stock? As any rifle can...

They said No as long as when it was reassembled back to it's intended configuration and met the 12/24 rule, then it would be legal.

So, I continue, what if I was to disassemble my LBR, everything that is, cylinder, trigger mech, literally every nut and bolt, is it S5? Pause..... No, it isn't. So, if I then chop off the wrist brace, "disassemble", if you like, is it S5. No. If I put a new rod on and then reassemble, is it still S1? Longer pause..... Is it still 12/24? Yes. Is the new rod permanently attached? Yes, I would have to chop it off to remove it....

They didn't see any problem with that! I still have the letter somewhere...

So, I did it myself.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#14 Post by Andy632 »

I've done a couple of them now; I just fit the new rod before cutting the original brace; simples.

If you can use basic workshop tools then the job is fairly simple to do oneself.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

#15 Post by judders »

How did you guys fix the new rod to the gun? I'm guessing 'permanent attached' means that it would need to be welded?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

Drilled out the old rod, tapped the hole and threaded the end of the rod. Filled the hole with liquid metal and screwed in the new rod. Then drilled three quarters through the frame/rod at 90 degrees and drove a pin through, peening the open end.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

The last one I saw was simply a hole to push the brace into with a couple of holes tapped to take grub screws with some 638 to hold everything in place.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#18 Post by mag41uk »

Roger at SYSS used to charge £75 to replace the tv aerial with a straight rod with a brass weight on the end.
I have seen some of the original aerials just pull out as they were only crimped in place!
I had a 45acp Taurus for a while but found it quite unweildy. It shot 200gn swc pretty well but they were a pain to load via moonclips.
It also wouldnt take standard moonclips as they were too thick for my particular gun.
A friend of mine had a surface grinder and "thinned" some down for me.
He hated doing it as occasionally one would fly out the machine. They were a bit too light for the magnet to hold down.
I wasnt overly impressed with that gun. The cylinders really need reaming out a couple of thou and they werent all the same size.
Passed it on to a club mate and he is still banging away with it.
I know a guy who has the 357 Taurus that has had a lighweight sleeved barrel fitted and the cylinder converted to take moonlips.
He can shoot 38spec/357/38super and 9mm. The gun is so light it can easily be shot one handed.
I think Alan wetslake did the work AFAIK.
Tony
judders

#19 Post by judders »

Thanks for the info guys. If I decide that I don't like the standard brace (highly likely, based on looks alone), I reckon I'll get someone to change it for me. I'm not that great with workshop stuff and it doesn't sound as though it's a particularly expensive mod.
carlsenior
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke Rifle Club, Swansea Rifle Club & West Wales Muzzleloaders and Rifle Association

#20 Post by carlsenior »

I've just got a stainless bar with a polished weight on my Taurus, angled downward to clear your arm when shooting, looks better than a brace in my opinion, balances the pistol makes it nicer to shoot ;)