Armi Jager AP74 Firing pin and extractor

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
die4toys
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: Armi Jager AP74 Firing pin and extractor

#11 Post by die4toys »

Awesome, thank you! I'll send you our dimensions soon. My buddy was putting the dimensions together based on measurements from the firing pin roll pin hole. We were trying to determine how much pin extension is needed to provide proper impact without extending to the point of damaging the barrel face and then working back for the back side dimension. I should have his .pdf of those dimensions tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Doug
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

I will certainly be interested however do not be surprised to see all sorts of discrepancies between individual firearms, the Armi Jager QA looks to have been on par with something worse than a very bad thing. Shame really as they are a giggle to shoot.

BTW, if you ever wondered what the muzzle brake thread is look no further than the humble M12 (Really!)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
die4toys

#13 Post by die4toys »

I'm now beginning to understand that the QA was exactly as you described! My friend has had this rifle for a long time and I think one of his buddies added the material at the back side of the firing pin, which may have helped push the pin further forward but at the same time changed the geometry between the hammer and the pin. I think the hammer is contacting the pin while still rising and trying to drive the pin upward at angle instead of forward. He is bringing the bolt over so I can see if this upward force may have caused some galling in the firing pin bore in the bolt.... It's now a mission of mine to get this rifle functional again. He found a "brand new" barrel online. The package arrived yesterday. The box corners weren't taped and the barrel was put in the box diagonally with a little bubble wrap at each end. The box arrived with one end open and NO barrel. His barrel has some damage to the face from dry firing, which could have contributed to a lack of ignition so he thought a new barrel and fixing the firing pin would put it back in action. The US postal service is trying to find the barrel, but I don't have high hopes. What a shame to see one of these NOS barrels fall prey to bad packaging!

Anyway, he is comparing his hand written dimensions and notes against your drawing. We have been working in SAE so I will convert metric if you wish, just let me know. They will be .jpg files of his notes as we haven't put anything on a dimensional drawing yet.

Thanks again for your quick replies and information. It's refreshing to find someone that is interested in figuring out these old rifles in spite of the lack of any sort of standardized dimensions!

Doug
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

A sketch in any form is fine I have been known to record critical dimensions on the headstock in marker pen in the past before converting them to drawings (Acetone is great for removing such notes)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
die4toys

#15 Post by die4toys »

Hi David,
I am very sorry for not replying sooner. My friend was out of town and my brother was diagnosed with prostrate cancer. I will email you the sketches!

Take care,
Doug
Ovenpaa

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

Got them Doug, I will take a closer look over a cup of coffee :)
/d

Shed Journal
SkyDyno

#17 Post by SkyDyno »

hi there... are you still making these... mine is light striking anout 50% of the time....
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

Armi Jager seem to use a different firing pin for every month of the year and I could not supply a pin that I could guarantee to fit so I stopped making them.
/d

Shed Journal
SkyDyno

#19 Post by SkyDyno »

Shame. The search continues..... but thanks for your reply. :-)