The Sako 75 bolt

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

The Sako 75 bolt

#1 Post by Mike95 »

Whoever designed this bolt should be shot with their own Sako... the bolt has to be cocked before it will chamber in the action. How to cock it is a mystery.. I am meeting a fellow shooter this morning who has some sort of plastic tool and will hopefully get the bolt back into one piece, get it cocked, and back into the gun.. fingers crossed.

Mike95
DL.

Re: The Sako 75 bolt

#2 Post by DL. »

Some of them had a key so as you could lock the bolt out of use.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by Pete »

I thought the bolts from all bolt action rifles need cocking first, but only if they've been un-cocked after removal from the rifle.
I have Tikka, RPA, and Savage, and they all cock when the bolt handle is lifted. I un-cock them for storage and re-cock them when ready to shoot.
The exception is my Musgrave, a Mauser action, which cocks fully as the bolt is closed.
Isn't it just a matter of twisting the rear cap on the bolt, same as Tikka?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Chapuis

#4 Post by Chapuis »

Mike95 wrote:Whoever designed this bolt should be shot with their own Sako... the bolt has to be cocked before it will chamber in the action. How to cock it is a mystery.. I am meeting a fellow shooter this morning who has some sort of plastic tool and will hopefully get the bolt back into one piece, get it cocked, and back into the gun.. fingers crossed.

Mike95
There's nothing wrong with the Sako 75 bolt sytem apart from when for a few years they put that silly locking key system on it in order to satisfy the U.S. market. (Incidentally that locked the bolt in the cocked position)
Obviously you've uncocked the bolt after removing it from the rifle and as Pete says cocking on opening is probably far more common than cocking on closing with bolt action rifles. Re-cocking it is pretty straight forward and explained in the user manual or online including on YouTube. While Sako normally provide a cocking and un-cocking tool with the rifle it can be done just as easily without.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have a cocking device here, it is just a round moulded plastic thing with a slotted hole in it. You can also use yours hands and a cloth to cock and de-cock it. I shoot a 75 in 22-250 and an 85 in .243 and they are both cracking little rifles and have dealt with thousands of things around here.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#6 Post by Mike95 »

My shooting pal arrived at the range with a plastic Sako magic tool.. supplied with his newish Sako.. about 15 seconds to sort out my bolt.. there must be lots of these plastic things about. I did not uncock the bolt after removing it from the rifle..it seems to have uncocked itself! Nothing at all wrong with the rifle, just a complicated bolt.

Mike95