What sight

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Practical shooter

What sight

#1 Post by Practical shooter »

Hello guys,
I'm looking for some advice in relation to what the best sight would be for a ar15 straight pull with a shorter barrel for shooting 200 to 500yds max.

Thanks
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: What sight

#2 Post by DaveB »

Are you talking about an optical sight? What is your budget? How much are you willing to spend?
Practical shooter

#3 Post by Practical shooter »

Hi im not sure what type of scope to be fair. Was thinking trijicon. Im looking to spend about a grand all in
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

What targets? What discipline?

These will help determine the type of scope (MOA or MIL, fixed power or variable range, etc) and reticule type you'll be looking at.

Or do you want irons? We have been having great success with the issue irons (with small modifications) off-hand at up to 600yds.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#5 Post by shugie »

Practical shooter wrote:Hi im not sure what type of scope to be fair. Was thinking trijicon. Im looking to spend about a grand all in
Second hand ACOG perhaps for when you need quick target acquisition, or Leupold AR if you have a bit more time and are going for accuracy.

Sight choice depends on application, I might have a red dot, ACOG or Vortex variable power depending on circumstances.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Practical shooter

#6 Post by Practical shooter »

It would simply be plinking or circular paper targets out to 400 or 500 yds maximum. Occasionally steel targets
BamBam

#7 Post by BamBam »

My favourite type of scope for an AR is usually a LVPO, 1-6, 1-8 and the new 1-10 offerings.
Budget dependent of course.
I also really like 2.5-10 options, which give you still a fairly compact scope but have 10x at the top end and still usable to all distances 2.5mag.
Vortex PST II 2.5-10 will be just under a grand.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#8 Post by DaveB »

plus1 for an LPVO. I have LPVOs from Bushnell, Vortex and Primary Arms. All are good quality with clear optics. The CTSS reticle from Primary Arms is quite popular. If you have more to spend, Leupold has a good LPVO and then, there's Nightforce - but that one is out of your price range..
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

I have had a 2-10 Sightron on my AR for the last couple of years. Has been an outstanding scope for the initial lay-out of 400 quid. Considering I'm a massive Leupold whore and seven out of nice scopes I currently use are Leupold.

Then, Optics Warehouse have them on sale! Less than half price! I've picked up another one for a project in mind, I was that impressed.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/sight ... ifle-scope
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#10 Post by mikygpu »

My AR type rifle is in .223 and I don't go past 600 yards with it.
I shoot in CSR and on my NRA bookings when I feel like plinking, as I use loads of surplus ammo.
I have 2: a no name 2x Red Dot and an IOR 2-12x32. Most of the time I mount the IOR, only at 100 yards Short Siberia I mount the red dot.
If I would change, I would go for an IR with a bigger objective, like IOR 2,5-10x42 or 3-18x42.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)