Marlin 1894 Trigger Happy

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

GordonBennett
Home club or Range: Frome & District Pistol Club

Marlin 1894 Trigger Happy

#1 Post by GordonBennett »

I recently acquired a Marlin 1894c .357. I find the trigger pull very heavy. I have given it a good clean and experimented with reduced power hammer springs but find they cause frequent misfires with factory ammunition. I was wondering if anyone had experience of the Wild West Guns Trigger Happy Kit and does this lighten the trigger significantly on its own?
Any advice on Marlin triggers gratefully received!

helpsign
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Marlin 1894 Trigger Happy

#2 Post by Sim G »

No, it doesn’t lighten the pull, but give a far more crisp and shortened pull, which translates to a much better performing trigger without sacrificing performance.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#3 Post by Geek »

Sim G wrote:No, it doesn’t lighten the pull, but give a far more crisp and shortened pull, which translates to a much better performing trigger without sacrificing performance.
^^this
I have a 'slicked' Marlin 1894C (.38/.357), with one piece firing pin, lighted hammer spring, new trigger, Williams sights, etc (work done by AA Gunsmiths in Skegness). Made a big improvement to how it shoots in my opinion.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Ballistol

#4 Post by Ballistol »

Sim G wrote:No, it doesn’t lighten the pull, but give a far more crisp and shortened pull, which translates to a much better performing trigger without sacrificing performance.
Spot on.
Although my Marlin CBC is fully tricked and slicked, I decided to fit the Trigger Happy kit and although it does make a difference, it was a marginal improvement, especially for the cost involved.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#5 Post by Airbrush »

It's been a few years since I fitted mine but if I'm remembering correctly it also eliminates the trigger slop on a standard trigger.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

Geek wrote:
^^this
I have a 'slicked' Marlin 1894C (.38/.357), with one piece firing pin, lighted hammer spring, new trigger, Williams sights, etc (work done by AA Gunsmiths in Skegness). Made a big improvement to how it shoots in my opinion.

Some of those modifications are nigh on mandatory, but I'd take that one piece firing pin and throw it in the bin. The two piece pin is a safety feature. There are a number of known incidents where during "fast strings" the gun has been fired out of battery.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

GordonBennett
Home club or Range: Frome & District Pistol Club

#7 Post by GordonBennett »

Thanks for the replies. Food for thought.
monkeyhanger

#8 Post by monkeyhanger »

if you fit a trigger happy kit and have the hammer tool marks polished out, it gives the marlin a very nice trigger. A one piece firing pin and a reduced power hammer spring finish the job off. If you use federal small pistol primers( softer primer cup), the rifle should be 100% reliable too.
hoppo
Home club or Range: Aldershot and Bisley

#9 Post by hoppo »

My 1894 357 already had a one piece firing pin fitted when i bought it, i then fitted a trigger happy kit and a Palo Verde spring kit. regarding light strikes, the kit comes with various washers and bushings, you start with the recommended level but after having several light strikes, i increased the spring to the next level, and have not had any problems since, and has about 1.5lb trigger pull.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

A one piece firing pin is not about light strikes, it's about taking a designed safety mechanism and removing it from the rifle and replacing it with something "inferior"...