A new rifle, the .243 BSA Monarch

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

A new rifle, the .243 BSA Monarch

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I appear to be the new owner of a .243 Winchester BSA Monarch (2nd Pattern) from around 1970-74 and what a lovely little thing it is. Mauser type action, adjustable trigger, proper wood stock, 22" barrel and PH ring bases. It has a rather short length of pull however I can deal with that. Also. it has not been screwcut and still retains the original sights albeit with the blade missing.

So why did these things fall out of favour? This one still has a very good bore and I cannot wait to get a couple of rounds down the barrel.

Thoughts on these rifles anyone?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: A new rifle, the .243 BSA Monarch

#2 Post by Sim G »

UK's best kept secret for a working rifle, as is with Parker Hale of the same vintage. Just not fashionable but some seem to put them in the same category as an Austin Allegro, which would be wrong.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: A new rifle, the .243 BSA Monarch

#3 Post by FredB »

In the 1970s, everything shooting had to be American. Lee Enfields could be picked up for £5----I was given mine, a mint, ex-home guard Mk3*. A friend still has a P14 which he bought at this time for £1. Everybody wanted a Smith and Wesson ---I was shooting a Mk5 Webley which I had swapped for an air gun. Looked down on by fellow competitors even when I kept on winning the club comps.
BSA were struggling against this market trend, and it went on for another 15 to 20 years.
Fred