Straight Pull Garand

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Sfwh

Straight Pull Garand

#1 Post by Sfwh »

I have seen these advertised on a few websites and was wondering if anyone had any hands-on experience with them and if they recommended them? Hoping to hand load some .30-06 if I got one so don't know if anyone has any loads they've found worked really well in theirs.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Straight Pull Garand

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

A member of my club has one and he loves it, I've shot it a few times and it is very nice to shoot and accurate too and it still has the characteristic Garand "ping" when it ejects the en-bloc clip.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Fella at our club has one also. He won't let anyone else shoot it.....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#4 Post by GeeRam »

Sfwh wrote: Hoping to hand load some .30-06 if I got one so don't know if anyone has any loads they've found worked really well in theirs.
Making up to same spec as the military M2 Ball or M72 (match) is the only workable option for the Garand (even in straight pull form) from what I've heard.
I used to work with someone that has one, but shoots with a different club, and I had been 'promised' a go if we could arrange it. He only uses the Garand specific PPU ammo in his, as was recommended to him when he bought it, in the absence of getting hold of any surplus M2 Ball.
Sfwh

#5 Post by Sfwh »

I'm hoping to replicate the M1 Ball which I know wasn't the standard by the time the Garand came in but it was always considered more accurate. It is pretty similar to the M72 ball so I don't imagine it will have any issues feeding. I know some people are concerned about over speeding the bolt and bending the op rod but that's obviously not an issue in a straight pull. So hopefully it will work out ok.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by bnz41 »

I have one best rifle I own, will be the last one to sell if I have too. Mine is a Berretta ejects like a dream shoots factory or reloads. Get one shakeshout
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by bnz41 »

Forgot If you do get a M1 Garand buy old style end block clips not the modern reproductions that are being sold at the moment, I get mine from sellers on here https://www.milweb.net/classifiedsLegac ... pe=16&h=22 they tend to know original stuff from recently made. Ping lol
Sfwh

#8 Post by Sfwh »

Oh cool thanks for the tip I'll try to get some original clips in that case
rufrdr

#9 Post by rufrdr »

Sfwh wrote:I'm hoping to replicate the M1 Ball which I know wasn't the standard by the time the Garand came in but it was always considered more accurate. It is pretty similar to the M72 ball so I don't imagine it will have any issues feeding. I know some people are concerned about over speeding the bolt and bending the op rod but that's obviously not an issue in a straight pull. So hopefully it will work out ok.
M1 ball and M72 are the same except that more care was taken with M72 to insure lot consistency and accuracy. M1 ball is safe for M1 rifle use.

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
BamBam

#10 Post by BamBam »

Look how fast this straight pull operator can get back behind the sights...