Parker Hale or Musgrave for a first full bore target rifle.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

Re: Parker Hale or Musgrave for a first full bore target rif

#11 Post by Andy632 »

Pippin89 wrote:From memory Parker Hale and Musgrave both use Mauser actions (someone correct me if I am wrong) so if that's the case the real difference will be the stock.
The Parker-hale T4 used a no4 Lee Enfield action which is not the best for 155gn ( & heavier) bullets in 7.62.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Laurie

#12 Post by Laurie »

acormack wrote:I had a look at a Carl Gustaf target rifle locally yesterday, I think its a CG63 after looking them up online and it was in really tidy condition. How do they fare and what would the current market value for a tidy one be?? Is the Musgrave a better rifle than both the PH and Carl Gustaf? Just asking before I decide which way to go, any views would be great.
It's most likely a CG63E, the 'E' designating it was set up for the UK market. The CG63 retained its original 6.5X55mm calibre for Scandinavian match shooting, straight out bolt-handle, and had a very low-mounted and compact Soderin or other make Swedish match aperture rearsight that was calibrated up to 600 metres. The 'E' models sold here were imported by Parker-Hale, were 7.62mm calibre (not sure of the barrel was Swedish or fitted by P-H with one of theirs) and had P-H match sights, front and rear as per the company's own TR rifle models.

The CG was a very nice rifle and shot well enough for its period - ie first generation TR rifles built around military actions. It was inferior to P-H's own later '98 action rifles in that whilst the latter had had a match type adjustable trigger assembly retrofitted, the Swedish rifles retained the original simple Mauser assembly from the parent M1896 et al family of military rifles. Although very well made and employing what was the best steel worldwide for the late 19th / early 20th century, the Swedish action is actually weaker than the 98s used on most P-Hs and lacks some of the important safety features found on the later action design. It also cocks on closing as with all pre-98 Mauser actions and which most TR shooters dislike, this involving a fair bit of effort after getting the butt into the shoulder and having got most of the 'hold' in place. It is in no way the equal of any of the single-shot models designed for match shooting from scratch such as the Musgrave. I had one many, many years ago and it shot well enough to give me a lot of pleasure in club shoots up to 600 yards, but no serious competitive TR shooter with hopes of gaining a place on a county team would be found with one even back then in the '80s.

A few will have been rebarreled with stainless match barrels, but I suspect the majority soldier on with their original fittings given their low monetary value by the 1990s and the relatively high cost of having a new quality barrel installed. A few sleepers aside, 40, 50 years use pretty well guarantees a substantial aggregate round count.
acormack
Home club or Range: Pentland Rifle Club

#13 Post by acormack »

Thanks for the info on the Carl Gustaf Laurie, it was in exceptional condition and was owned by an elderly gentleman who hadn't shot it in about 20 years but my goodness it must have been cleaned regularly! Most definitely a sleeper in my eyes but going by all the feedback it looks to be the Musgrave that leads the charge so far.
jack Mack

#14 Post by jack Mack »

acormack wrote:Evening everyone

I am going to put a variation in for a full bore target rifle and wondered what everyone's thoughts are on a beginners first full bore target rifle? I've been shooting small bore for a few years now and fancy having a go at the longer range stuff. I see a few Parker Hales and Musgraves at reasonable prices, should they be avoided or are they all that's needed for cheap practice until the scores start improving?

I know everyone will say buy a good rifle for a first gun but I've just spent quite a bit upgrading to an alloy stocked .22 so that's not going to happen anytime soon, her indoors will kick me out the house if I do lol.

I'll go for a 308 but has anyone dealt with Inverness and are they flexible with 308 or 7.62 x 51 on my FAC? I notice Fultons of Bisley list their rifles as 308/7.62 and is this the way to go for a variation?

Any advice would be gratefully received, send me a pm if need be.

Thanks in advance
Alan
Musgrave 30 cal. great target rifle, parts readily available and easy to re barrel if required.