Lightweight Stalking rifle?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Lightweight Stalking rifle?

#1 Post by daman »

I'm thinking of buying a new Sako Finnlight which I've been offered with some good German second hand glass, mounts, moderator etc.

It would mostly be used for punching paper and dinging steel out to 100m and for long walks looking for deer a few times a year (I might even shoot one some day!).

Does anyone have experience with the Finnlight? What's good, what's not. Should I be looking at something else? Total budget ~2K

-daman
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Lightweight Stalking rifle?

#2 Post by kennyc »

does it fit you? does it group? other than that it is a tool just like all the others, it will do the job , as will a £100 BSA built on a K98 action :p
more important is the glass, if its German and in good condition then go for it! I have always used a SB 6x42 for stalking although I have a couple of SB8x52 they are noticeably heavier, bulkier and give less field of view, keep it light and close to the barrel and enjoy the walk. bangbang
the running man

#3 Post by the running man »

U do know with a lighter sporting barrell its ment for about 2 shots from cold, u go to the range and put more than that down it and it will heat up and your point of aim will drift, and you will get mad! (im sure you know that)

Saying that I use a tikka varmint barrelled 30-06,i dont mind carrying a heavy rifle about a feild.

A mate uses a finnlight, excellent gun.
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes, I know them well. perfect for a single shot plus a follow up shot if necessary. As above, your barrel is going to heat up incredibly quickly.

Buy one, keep it for stalking and find yourself a second hand 700 or similar for paper.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

Remington Model 7s have an action around 3/4" shorter than the 700, in classic dear calibers and for not much money... get one for stalking and keep it for stalking.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#6 Post by kennyc »

Sim G wrote:Remington Model 7s have an action around 3/4" shorter than the 700, in classic dear calibers and for not much money... get one for stalking and keep it for stalking.
I had one in .223 it had a thinner barrel than my .22 air rifle! beautiful handling rifle, but turned into a shotgun after the 2nd shot !
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I built a bull barrel 223 Remington model 7 a while ago, they can be very capable. Also, from memory, the bolt is both shorter as well as being a larger diameter (O.728") than the Model 700.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#8 Post by TRG-22 »

Back in the early 70's I hefted (but sadly didn't get to fire) a really lovely little South African hunting rifle which fired .223 Remington.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#9 Post by daman »

Thanks all for the replies. I'm hearing the Finnfire is a nice rifle to take for a walk and maybe fire an accurate shot or two, but not a rangeday paper puncher. Good info - now I just need to decide if it's worth it for me for those all too few stalking days each year.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

Have you thought about a 20" heavy barrel? All the rage on "Tactical Guns"....

Short enough and light enough for the field, but will still rock on the ranges.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!