Custom build....

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Custom build....

#1 Post by Sim G »

A little quiet on here recently, so I'll chuck mu current musings up for discussion....

I'm thinking about the Precision Rifle League, but wondering if my current crop of rifles will fill that niche, (of course one of them will, but I'm looking for the excuse for a build)!

I'm fortunate that I have four full Bore rifles that I hold for target shooting. One of them is a back up hunting gun, but that one is out anyway, because it's just so bloody fantastic! That's an HS Precision Pro Series 2000 STR, 20 inch barrel .308. The second is a Bradley built AR. .223, with a 1in 8" Border barrel, again I don't think is suitable.

The next does fit. Sig Sauer SSG3000, in .308. Now when this was bought, it was £1450 new. That falls right under the leagues 1500 pound limit for "factory class", but now they're around 1800, so does it fall outside factory and into the unlimited class? It would be a disadvantage there, I'd think...

Now my final one and prime contender for customisation is my 2003 RPA Interceptor in 7mm-08. I bought this from new and have since added an RPA 20 MOA rail, an RPA Brake, a half decent mod and four spare mags (Read modified Sako TRG mags at £180 a pop!!) it still wears its original Archer barrel and I just can't seem to shoot that barrel out! lol

It's got nearly 5000 rounds of my sedate 168gn SMK with Vhit N140. I never use double based powders and I never load maximum, but it will still genuinely give sub MOA out to 600, when I'm on form. But in all honesty, that cartridge is going transonic around 800 yards and would never be able to compete.

So my thoughts are rebarrel that RPA with a 26", fluted, in similar profile, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. This was what that cartridge was supposedly first designed for and good brass is now freely available for it. I'll retain the 17x1 spigot thread so that the same mod and brake can be used.

One thing I've always disliked about the rifle is the Robertson stock! It just doesn't fit me. A short action Remington 700 stock can be made to fit the RPA Quadlite quite easily. I like HS stocks. I've had all manner of Remingtons fitted with them and my current STR also wears an HS stock, obviously. I'd have to have bottom metal that too AI mags as well, as Sako mags are ridiculous prices. And, out the Robertson and mags may off set the build cost!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Custom build....

#2 Post by 20series »

Simon,

I'd be tempted to get in touch with John Davies at RPA and discuss with him what your options are. You might find a good solution.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Really didn’t bother considering them, to tell you the truth. I think the product is outstanding but with regards to the customer service I’ve received in the past, it would be inappropriate for me to comment....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

rox

#4 Post by rox »

Why fluted? Are you up against a weight limit?
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#5 Post by 20series »

Sim G wrote:Really didn’t bother considering them, to tell you the truth. I think the product is outstanding but with regards to the customer service I’ve received in the past, it would be inappropriate for me to comment....
Ok mate,

Not sure if its improved since John Joined following the demise of DCR.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

HPS do a stock that fits an RPA Quadlite I believe...
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

rox wrote:Why fluted? Are you up against a weight limit?

In PRL, something like 80% of the shooting is from positions other than prone. Weight can be a consideration for other positions as well as transitions.

Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

Pippin89 wrote:HPS do a stock that fits an RPA Quadlite I believe...
“Tactical” rather than target is required.

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Im not familiar with Precision rifle league. Could you elaborate please?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5dyM--agmkU#

And from the leagues site...

“The Precision Rifle League unites existing ranges and encourages new precision rifle shooting to be established throughout the UK. The PRL’s primary aim is to provide a positive resource for fellow shooters, helping to develop and expand precision rifle shooting for the benefit of all.

Within the league, there are now several unique precision rifle challenges across the UK. These challenges are two day events set in beautiful remote locations, utilising natural and artificial barricades as firing points to engage reactive steel targets. Individuals can enter as many challenges as desired, with the top two scores from different locations counting towards their national PRL Leaderboard place.

The Leaderboard will be split into two main elements: Open Division or Factory Division. Beyond this there are sub categories such as International, Ladies, Parasport etc. However there are no trophies or prizes for categories, but they do provide useful information for the PRL and may help form additional Divisions in the future.”