winchesters and chiappa`s

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

winchesters and chiappa`s

#1 Post by mag41uk »

Any one have any experience with the new Winchester 73`s?
Same question about Chiappa under levers.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: winchesters and chiappa`s

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

didn't even know Winchester were making them again. seems a small choice of caliber

I have a Chiappa underlever, it's an 1887, but that still counts right? build quality is good, nothing has broken on it, and it works...
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#3 Post by Pinguino »

No experirnce with Chiappa.

Winchesters are now made under licence in the Miroku factory in Japan - don't be put off, they are a top quality gun manufacturer. If you're interested in a Winny 73, then you won't be dissapointed. The stock and forend furniture are far nicer than the polished Pedersoli.

Only issue is availability. You may have to wait a blooming long time if the model you want is not currently is stock.
mag41uk

#4 Post by mag41uk »

Pinguino wrote:No experirnce with Chiappa.

Winchesters are now made under licence in the Miroku factory in Japan - don't be put off, they are a top quality gun manufacturer. If you're interested in a Winny 73, then you won't be dissapointed. The stock and forend furniture are far nicer than the polished Pedersoli.

Only issue is availability. You may have to wait a blooming long time if the model you want is not currently is stock.
Hmmm. That's interesting. Are the internals the same as the "old" Winchesters? As in - will they have the same breakage in the 357`s?
I wonder how they compare accuracy wise with other lever actions?
My first lever was a 44 Winchester trails end. It was accurate - more accurate than the Marlins I have had since.
Seem to be a few around - but not cheap £1300 ish.
mag41uk

#5 Post by mag41uk »

Of course the 73 has a toggle link unlike the 94.
And the current 94`s are only in rifle cartridges.
RDC

#6 Post by RDC »

I've shot two Chiappa underlever and they are both awful and keep breaking (and not just with me shooting them!).
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#7 Post by GeeRam »

mag41uk wrote:Any one have any experience with the new Winchester 73`s?
Same question about Chiappa under levers.
Chiappa is a '92 action though not a '73?

One of our club members has a Chiappa Alaskan take-down in .44mag and he's on here, so hopefully he'll chip in with comments as an owner. I've fired it and have to say, I prefer it any of the various Marlins I've fired.

Not even seen one of the new production Winchester '73's, even though they've been making them for a few years now. As said, I think they are very hard to get hold off, even more so than a Uberti '73....
My Uberti '73 is very much a keeper, that won't be going anywhere, its a peach of a rifle :D
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

have you seen the uberti 73's in 44mag? they look a bit odd in blue
my 73 is an uberti special sporter in 44spl, I love it, and keep uhmming and ahhing over another in 32-20
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Webley
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by Webley »

I have the Chiappa Alaskan in .44 mag mentioned above. It is a great gun and I am very happy with it. The take down really helps with the cleaning. It is close to the smoothness of the action of uberti, but not quite there. That could be down to being the 92 action rather than the 73 toggle though. It is certainly not rough and is accurate enough for me to be the weak link. If you go for a 73 action in .44 mag be aware they use different internal parts due to the higher forces involved. This means you can't short stroke or slick it up as easily (if at all). I was torn on getting a uberti but the lack of a competition version in .44mag and the lack of tuning options swung it to the chiappa. I am not sure what the non alaskan versions are like in terms of smoothness, I got the impression they had slicked the alaskans up a little at the factory.

Matt
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#10 Post by redcat »

I have a Chiappa in .44-40. More accurate copy of a Winchester 1892 than the Rossi and a stronger action than the 1873. Slick as a whistle out of the box in 2006. Fit and finish is very good.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.