winchesters and chiappa`s

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: winchesters and chiappa`s

#11 Post by bradaz11 »

Webley wrote:I have the Chiappa Alaskan in .44 mag mentioned above. It is a great gun and I am very happy with it. The take down really helps with the cleaning. It is close to the smoothness of the action of uberti, but not quite there. That could be down to being the 92 action rather than the 73 toggle though. It is certainly not rough and is accurate enough for me to be the weak link. If you go for a 73 action in .44 mag be aware they use different internal parts due to the higher forces involved. This means you can't short stroke or slick it up as easily (if at all). I was torn on getting a uberti but the lack of a competition version in .44mag and the lack of tuning options swung it to the chiappa. I am not sure what the non alaskan versions are like in terms of smoothness, I got the impression they had slicked the alaskans up a little at the factory.

Matt
what is the benifit of getting the 44mag version of the uberti 73, over their 44spl, which can be slicked?
are you shooting full power loads?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#12 Post by GeeRam »

bradaz11 wrote: what is the benifit of getting the 44mag version of the uberti 73, over their 44spl, which can be slicked?
Uberti don't make a .44spl only 1873....?

If they did once, they don't anymore.
Only calibre's listed now for the 1873 is 357mag, 44-40win, 44mag & 45Colt.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

they do because I own one. AFAIK, they are still made, and I know of at least 2 for sale ATM. 32-20 is also an available caliber.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Webley

#14 Post by Webley »

bradaz11 wrote: what is the benifit of getting the 44mag version of the uberti 73, over their 44spl, which can be slicked?
Sometimes for fun yes, but there is no real advantage of the 44mag over 44spl for me tbh. Both will make it through the paper on the target. Most of the time I am running magtech cowboy loads for competitions which are sub 44spl power anyway.
The Uberti 44spl was not advertised new at the time I was looking for mine. I had seen some reviews and second hand ones in the states but not the uk. Like they had made them, they had not sold well and they had withdrawn the option. Maybe it was just what had been ordered and stocked by suppliers at that time I was looking but I don't recall it being on their website either. If they had done a competition version in .44spl or .44mag it would have been in the running. They only did .38/357mag and .45LC at the time I think, but I have no regrets on my Alaskan nor the 44mag option. It is very different to what others in my club have which is nice.

Matt
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#15 Post by redcat »

Henry Krank lists the Uberti 1873 in both .44Spl. and .44Mag. but the latter is only available with a full blue receiver whereas other calibres have case colours. I have two '73's - a .32/20 and a .357Mag - and neither is anywhere near as slick as the Chiappa 1892.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
GeeRam

#16 Post by GeeRam »

bradaz11 wrote:they do because I own one. AFAIK, they are still made, and I know of at least 2 for sale ATM. 32-20 is also an available caliber.
Not listed on their website though interestingly, but as mentioned above, listed by Kranks.

I agree, no real need for 44mag in UK, 44spl is more than enough for gallery here.

I've only ever shot Magtech Cowboy Action 45 Colt ammo out of my Uberti 1873 Comp in the 3 years I've owned it.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Sim G »

My mate has a Uberti 1873 in .44spl. 24" Sporting rifle. Mine is a 20" Special Sporting in .44-40...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!