Variation query

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Variation query

#1 Post by johngarnett »

I'm coming up for renewal and have thoughts of asking for a 6.5mm.

Firstly, 6.5 v Creedmoor v 6.5 anything else please? Your thoughts and experiences please. I fancy a long range, wind buster with hyper v-bull capability ;)

Secondly, does '6.5mm bolt action' cover ALL 6.5 variants? (I know you can only speak for your constabs but it would be a guide!!) The moderator would be just '6.5mm'.

Thank you

JohnG :cornwall:
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Variation query

#2 Post by Mattnall »

The police designed the forms (or at least had much input into the design of the forms) and asked for 'calibre' but meant 'cartridge size'. Some will allow you to put 6.5 and this should be good for all the 6.5mm cartridges but will be country dependant and less likely these days.
Herts were great when I asked for 6.5 and built a .260 (6.5-08) but I have no doubt it'll be a problem now and to be fair the Guidance states that broad calibre choice should be avoided in favour of cartridge size. Perhaps a discussion with your FEO about the choice will prove beneficial.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#3 Post by Plumose »

You may want to put .30 cal for the mod as there aren't many marked as 6.5mm.

I got a https://www.wildcatmoderators.co.uk/ as they are happy to mark it as you need, it is also a great mod.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

Forgot to add:
We were talking about this very issue on the range last weekend, it would appear there is not much difference between .260 and 6.5CM in regards to velocities we were getting. I opted for a .260 (this was about 15 years ago and I don't know if 6.5CM was around then) and haven't looked back - donor brass (.243 which I use is cheap and readily available). I can't see any advantage in my changing cartridge.
As to the other 6.5s out there I cannot give an opinion other than to say the 6.5mm bullets available are so much better ballistically when compared to similar bullets in 30cal.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#5 Post by Dellboy »

do you intend to load or buy factory stuff ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

Plumose wrote:You may want to put .30 cal for the mod as there aren't many marked as 6.5mm.

I got a https://www.wildcatmoderators.co.uk/ as they are happy to mark it as you need, it is also a great mod.
+ 1 for the wildcatmods.
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

johngarnett wrote:
Firstly, 6.5 v Creedmoor v 6.5 anything else please? Your thoughts and experiences please. I fancy a long range, wind buster with hyper v-bull capability ;)
Long range? How far?

The 6.5CM is comparably to say .308 a lighter round so the wind can be a factor.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#8 Post by ukrifleman »

I have a friend in the US who shoots at 1000 yards with a Tikka in 6.5CM and he swears by it.
ukrifleman.
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

The 22C I used to own is a 6.5x47 necked down - super accurate and flies very fast. Wind can be a problem, so can warm days.

Less recoil than say a .308.

Got to get the twist right and the choice of bullets. Normally in the 80-140 range.
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#10 Post by johngarnett »

Thank you everyone. Very useful info. 'Long range' for me would be 1k at Bisley, maybe 1200. Anything further can be left to the RAF to dispose of lol lol

Mod now clarified but now the quest for calibre, bullet, twist, powder and oh yes - load!!!!

I may just stick to my trusty 308 wallhead

Thanks again folks

JohnG :cornwall: