History of the AK

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

tony213
Home club or Range: Derby Rifle and pistol club, Offas Dyke Rifle Club

Re: History of the AK

#21 Post by tony213 »

U27 Shooting Range wrote:Currently the russian group Kalashnikov is manufacturing quite a nice and robust copies under the name Saiga. For example Saiga MK 103 is a nice civil version of AK 74, however still 7,62x39 and not 5,56x45 as AK 74 was.

i have not tried this range - you recommend it then ? Have been to several in Eastern Europe for the past ten plus years and have a lot of respect for the Ak's and variants - not quite so good as my old L1A1 SLR but probably biased, no definitely as loved having it. the only problem i had to hand it back !
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: History of the AK

#22 Post by snayperskaya »

tony213 wrote:
U27 Shooting Range wrote:Currently the russian group Kalashnikov is manufacturing quite a nice and robust copies under the name Saiga. For example Saiga MK 103 is a nice civil version of AK 74, however still 7,62x39 and not 5,56x45 as AK 74 was.

i have not tried this range - you recommend it then ? Have been to several in Eastern Europe for the past ten plus years and have a lot of respect for the Ak's and variants - not quite so good as my old L1A1 SLR but probably biased, no definitely as loved having it. the only problem i had to hand it back !
Saiga's aren't really a "copy".....they are built in the same plant (Izhmash located in Izhevsk, Russia) as Russian military AK's using pretty much the same parts and are a Kalashnikov by another name.They are based on the AK-74 pattern (smaller bolt/bolt carrier than the earlier AKM pattern rifles and have a 90 degree gas block whereas the AKM had a 45 degree gas block).The are as reliable as the military versions and have the same chrome-lined barrels.

They are available in .223/5.56 NATO in either full length (AK-101) or carbine verson (AK-102), 7.62x39 (AK-103 and 104) and 5.45x39 (AK-105)......there are also .308/7.62 NATO and 9mm carbine versions available in other markets and all are available as semi-auto rifles in other markets whereas we get the straight pull variants.On thing to note is they don't accept military mags from the factory, as they are sold as "sporting rifles" and lack the feed ramp found on military rifles (the Saiga mag ramp is incorporated into the front edge of the mag body) but feed ramps are available that once fitted and the mag catch has been fettled will allow any military AK mag to be used, these can be found much cheaper than Saiga specific mags and if the rifle is chambered in 7.62x39 will allow the use of the icon Soviet "Bakelite" mags (actually made from AG4 reinforced resin rather than Bakelite).

They come up secondhand but it's unlikely we'll see new ones coming in anytime soon as JSC Kalashnikov Concern is on the Sanctions list.

I have owned a few Saiga's and wouldn't hesitate to buy another...... I'll stop now otherwise I'll be going on all night! ussrflag

My old 103 with PK-01v red dot....
357jyi1.jpg
My old 104 with 8x42 POSP for sh#ts and kicks.....
fm2no1.jpg
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!