Ruger Precision first impressions

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Re: Ruger Precision first impressions

#31 Post by phaedra1106 »

Never had that problem, I had/have flat rails on the RPR, Tac A1 and a T3x in an MDT Tac21 chassis, always had enough adjustment on the cheek rest to set the correct height.

However as will all things shooting your mileage may vary, maybe my son and I just have oddly shaped heads :good: :D

Dave, Club opens 3 - 3:30pm, I'll be there from about 6pm :good:
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#32 Post by Sim G »

Definitely flat on one side, Jeff!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#33 Post by Alpha1 »

Spent the evening with Jeff setting up the creedmoor. Had a great time thanks Jeff. He set the rifle up to suit my length of pull and cheekweld and height. Bore sighted the scope and got it on target with a clear sight picture.

Thanks again great job.
Just need a range day now. :good:
Sim G
Past Supporter

#34 Post by Sim G »

Excellent! Now you just need to get it shot....

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#35 Post by phaedra1106 »

Not a problem :wave:

Don't forget we have a full day on the 15th and you're more than welcome to pop along :good:
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1

#36 Post by Alpha1 »

Finally got a range day with my primary Club I booked a 100-yard zeroing range and spent a leisurely afternoon zeroing the Creedmoor and trying different hand loads. I'm surprised at how little recoil the 6.5 has.
After a little fiddling, the groups started to tighten up I definitely need a better bipod. But I reckon it's going to be one accurate rifle. I don't like the folding butt. I guess I will have to live with it for now. I tried to measure cartridge overall length using a Shooting shed gauge. Nothing to do with the gauge but I found it fiddly with the folded butt.
Anyway it's coming together. The guys suggested I fit a moderator I have never owned a moderator and never had a slot for one. I guess the muzzle break all though it sounded fine to me might have been bothering them.

teanews hmm whats next. More range time I guess.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#37 Post by Ovenpaa »

People tend to use our longer OAL for the Ruger
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#38 Post by Triffid »

I had my 6.5CM RPR out of the cabinet for a 600x club shoot on Century yesterday afternoon.

First up were two 16 YO lads, one's been shooting with us for six months and the other's just started. One's stocky and the other's gangly, so the RPR's stock comes into its own with LoP and cheekpiece being adjusted quickly and easily to suit. 10 rounds each of the factory S&B put a smile of their faces, before moving onto a 308.

Then it was the turn of another new member, who recently bought a Tik-Tac in 308 and had been using it with rather mixed results before running out of ammo. Firstly there was the rather obvious difference between the Sightron SIII on the Ruger against the Vortex HST on the Tik-Tac. Then there was the adjusting of the stock and cheek-piece - no spacers needed here! First shot was a V-bull and he then kept up a reasonable score over the next fifteen rounds on my 142 SMK reloads.

Then it was my turn. After working out why the stock adjusty thing wasn't locking properly and once more changing the stock set-up, I was straight into the V-bull where I stayed over the next 8 rounds, with one blown into the 5 ring.

So I quite like it.

Triffid
Alpha1

#39 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa wrote:People tend to use our longer OAL for the Ruger
That makes sense.
Alpha1

#40 Post by Alpha1 »

Alpha1 wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:People tend to use our longer OAL for the Ruger
That makes sense.
I had another go the locking nut on the original Shooting Sheds over all length gauge is in the slot that the bolt normally runs in so you can not snug it down to lock the gauge once you have pushed the bullet into the rifling.
The gauge works fine in my other rifles but not in the Ruger.
I have ordered the longer version that they recommend for the Ruger precision. Once it arrives I will do a review and let you know how I get on with it. I might even post some pictures.
I was on Whitfell range this morning helping to run a probationers training session with a view to them obtaining safe shooters cards. The Creedmoor shot the middle out of a target at 100 yards. WOW.
teanews hmm whats next. Calm down Dave calm down its only a rifle.
lollol