Ruger Precision first impressions

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Ruger Precision first impressions

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Believe it or not, I have had it for weeks now and still have nowhere to shoot it. It's the 6.5 Creedmoor version. I thought Ok let's get it out of the cabinet and see if I can remember what it looks like.
So I did I then retrieved the bolt from the bolt cabinet and attempted to fit it in the gun. That did not work it would not go into battery I eventually worked out that the bolt was in the wrong orientation so I attempted to turn the aluminium gubbings at the rear of the bolt to line it up correctly. The aluminium shroud on the rear of the bolt ended up on the floor. This allowed me to be able to see the firing pin mechanism it looks cheap and nasty to me. I eventually got it back together but not without a struggle.
Im not impressed with the folding stock. It makes it difficult to work on the rifle.
I fitted a scope and tried it for cheek weld not as comfortable as a conventional rifle stock in my opinion. I can not see jack s-it through the scope am I right in thinking it has an angle built-in I set the scope for 200 yards and looked through it at the fields behind my house and could see nothing. but then I know diddly swat about scopes so I have no idea.
I'm thinking a P14 a Mosin Nagant and a couple of quality bullet moulds might be a good swap.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

Re: Ruger Precision first impressions

#2 Post by Lancs Lad »

Alpha1 wrote:Believe it or not, I have had it for weeks now and still have nowhere to shoot it. It's the 6.5 Creedmoor version. I thought Ok let's get it out of the cabinet and see if I can remember what it looks like.
So I did I then retrieved the bolt from the bolt cabinet and attempted to fit it in the gun. That did not work it would not go into battery I eventually worked out that the bolt was in the wrong orientation so I attempted to turn the aluminium gubbings at the rear of the bolt to line it up correctly. The aluminium shroud on the rear of the bolt ended up on the floor. This allowed me to be able to see the firing pin mechanism it looks cheap and nasty to me. I eventually got it back together but not without a struggle.
Im not impressed with the folding stock. It makes it difficult to work on the rifle.
I fitted a scope and tried it for cheek weld not as comfortable as a conventional rifle stock in my opinion. I can not see jack s-it through the scope am I right in thinking it has an angle built-in I set the scope for 200 yards and looked through it at the fields behind my house and could see nothing. but then I know diddly swat about scopes so I have no idea.
I'm thinking a P14 a Mosin Nagant and a couple of quality bullet moulds might be a good swap.
I had a good look at the 308 Win version and I would have to say that I was somewhat disappointed. The chap in the next lane on the firing point had the Tikka 308 Win modular rifle equivalent and that was a completely different animal.

:flag13: LL
Andy

#3 Post by Andy »

I'm using one in .308. I get on well with mine.
My shooting buddy also uses one.
The butt stock locks back you know . If your not locking it in place I can imagine it would be a faff with it flapping about.
I love mine, once set up it's great.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#4 Post by Dellboy »

Why did you buy one in the first place ? I shot one and didnt think it was for me so i didnt buy one but for the money they are ok ...
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#5 Post by phaedra1106 »

I don't want to say I told you so but I did tell you I had both the Ruger RPR and Tikka TAC A1 in 6.5CM and the Tikka is so much better in terms of build quality.

I don't know anyone who's had a problem putting the bolt into a new rifle out of the box. The folding stock (as said above) locks back out of the way, there's a small catch you rotate.

As for the scope, the 20MOA rail will not cause the problems your describing, wrong eye distance or cheek rest height would be my guess.

Why don't you bring it along to St.Giles on Monday evening and I'll go through it with you? (yes, we're open on a Bank Holiday!).

Or, I'm probably at home all weekend so give me a PM and you can bring it here if that's easier? :good:
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#6 Post by dodgyrog »

Dave! Surely the rifle came with an instruction manual?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
The Gun Pimp

#7 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha1 wrote:Believe it or not, I have had it for weeks now and still have nowhere to shoot it. It's the 6.5 Creedmoor version. I thought Ok let's get it out of the cabinet and see if I can remember what it looks like.
There are loads of these rifles at Diggle and most shoot incredibly well.
One guy who uses his for 1000 yard benchrest has a 5 inch group to his name - shot in competition.
They may look a little budget - they are currently selling it for $899 in the States - but they shoot and I've not heard of any failures. Also, you can buy a very reasonably priced replacement factory barrel.
I've only used one when I did the 'cheap brass and bullets' test for TS magazine but I found no surprises.
It is assembled a little differently to a conventional bolt gun but for a folding stock, mag. fed rifle for around £1200 it's a steal.
Alpha - just get it shot. Get in yer car and come over to Diggle one day.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thing is, they are not GBP1200 rifles here in the UK...

EDIT - GBP1850-2000 seems to be the going rate for the 6.5CM RPR
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

£1780 to be exact.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#10 Post by dodgyrog »

Alpha1 wrote:£1780 to be exact.
The price of buying the flavour of the month!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.