First Fullbore Rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

First Fullbore Rifle

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi All

FAC application going in next month. What would you recommend as a first fullbore? I have all the others decided but not this one. My budget for it will be around £500 second hand as my theory is to not spend too much until I have some experience of owning one and know what I like and don't like etc.... More funds are available though if it would be a bad idea to shop in this price range!

It will be used for prone target shooting which my club does on the Bisley ranges. 7.62 is the recommendation of the club and the ammo that they stock so would like to stick with this for now.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: First Fullbore Rifle

#2 Post by 1066 »

Something very "run of the mill" would get you started. Parker Hale T4, PH 1200. Just note, if you're shooting prone TR some of these rifles are offered without suitable sights.

http://www.byswordandmusket.co.uk/fac-r ... get-rifle/

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/parker-hale-1 ... es/1115091
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Howa. Undoubtably as a "first". Accurate, well made, freely available in a plethora of configurations and cheap! And personally, I'd go .223. You'll lose nothing up to 600 and you'll learn to read the ind like a demon! Cheaper and easier on the shoulder as well....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Pippin89

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely want to stick with 7.62 at the moment as it is the clubs recommendation and they stock the ammo so I have easy access. And there is at least one internal club competition where we have the possibility of shooting out to 1000 yards. Although only the top 2 go to that from memory so unlikely I would be doing that for a while! haha.

Hopefully I can get away with .308 / 7.62 on my FAC to keep my options open. Some seem to be ok with this and others get told to choose.
Robbo

#5 Post by Robbo »

I went with the old school Remington 700P - I went for a decent second hand one with a half decent scope on it. It will still outshoot me every day, and with RWS 155 pretty accurate all the way out to 1000 yards.
Pippin89

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

Robbo wrote:I went with the old school Remington 700P - I went for a decent second hand one with a half decent scope on it. It will still outshoot me every day, and with RWS 155 pretty accurate all the way out to 1000 yards.
That was my option before asking here so good to have it backed up. It only seems available in .308. I have seen conflicting information in various places. Can you fire 7.62 ammo through a .308 rifle?
MrD

#7 Post by MrD »

Hi

By 'Target Shooting' do you mean TR style with aperture sights or do you mean shooting at targets with a scoped rifle?

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#8 Post by J4mes »

Do what I did and ask for both the .223/5.56 and the .308/7.62

I am on the understanding from my FEO that once one has been purchased, you can only buy ammo for that rifle. So if I bought a .308, I would only be able to purchase .308 ammo. Not 7.62.

As for firing 7.62 through a .308, not sure. Something to do with pressures prevents it perhaps?
Rockhopper

#9 Post by Rockhopper »

I have a 7.62 rifle on my ticket and an ammunition slot for .308/7.62 so I can buy either. I previously only had 7.62 - some RFD's will sell you .308 and some won't so i got it changed to include both.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by 1066 »

MrD wrote:Hi

By 'Target Shooting' do you mean TR style with aperture sights or do you mean shooting at targets with a scoped rifle?

Donald
:) The question I should have asked in the beginning.

When someone says they want a cheap 7.62 rifle for target shooting at Bisley I automatically think sling and aperture sights.
If you're looking for a cheap rifle for a casual club bang, scope and bipod style out to 600 yards, then there's no end of choice.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com