First Fullbore Rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

Re: First Fullbore Rifle

#21 Post by Lever357 »

Can you fire 7.62 ammo through a .308 rifle?[/quote]

Yes, no problem as .308 Winchester is purely the commercial designation of the military term 7.62x51. The only thing I have been told to watch is if you are reloading, military brass may be a bit thicker than commercial so you may have to reduce your powder charge.

I have .308/7.62x51 on my ammunition allowance so I can buy either.

I believe .223 and 5.56mm are not as interchangable though.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

#22 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

Lever357 wrote:Can you fire 7.62 ammo through a .308 rifle?

I believe .223 and 5.56mm are not as interchangable though.[/quote]

You can use .223 in a 5.56mm Chamber but not 5.56mm in a .223 Chamber.
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#23 Post by Andy632 »

MotorRacingBruce1980 wrote:
Lever357 wrote:Can you fire 7.62 ammo through a .308 rifle?

I believe .223 and 5.56mm are not as interchangable though.

You can use .223 in a 5.56mm Chamber but not 5.56mm in a .223 Chamber.[/quote]

It's not that clear cut!
Many people have no issues whatsoever using SOME 5.56 ammo in Some .223 chambered rifles.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#24 Post by Pippin89 »

Thanks for the info guys! Remmington 700 is looking favourite at the moment but that is only .308 so good to know that I can still fire 7.62 through that. Makes it easier buying ammo from the club.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#25 Post by TattooedGun »

Pippin89 wrote:Thanks for the info guys! Remmington 700 is looking favourite at the moment but that is only .308 so good to know that I can still fire 7.62 through that. Makes it easier buying ammo from the club.
For a TR rifle with Aperture sights and a sling?

Doesn't seem like the right tool for the job.

You'll have no handstop rail in the stock and no front foresight/foresight relief in the barrel, you'll be making it hard on yourself to shoot that discipline with that rifle.

Swing, RPA, Paramount, older AI, Parker Hale etc would be where I'd be looking, if that's your game as they're designed to be shot from a single point sling with dioptre sights.
Pippin89

#26 Post by Pippin89 »

TattooedGun wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:Thanks for the info guys! Remmington 700 is looking favourite at the moment but that is only .308 so good to know that I can still fire 7.62 through that. Makes it easier buying ammo from the club.

You'll have no handstop rail in the stock and no front foresight/foresight relief in the barrel, you'll be making it hard on yourself to shoot that discipline with that rifle.

Swing, RPA, Paramount, older AI, Parker Hale etc would be where I'd be looking, if that's your game as they're designed to be shot from a single point sling with dioptre sights.
I did see one for sale with a hand stop etc... Maybe it was modded?
I will keep looking!
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#27 Post by TattooedGun »

Pippin89 wrote:
TattooedGun wrote:

I did see one for sale with a hand stop etc... Maybe it was modded?
I will keep looking!
Maybe, I don't know of any models that come "TR Ready" off the shelf.

There's also the Savage Arms Model 12 Palma as a contender, but they're rare as rocking horse poop second hand...
MrD

#28 Post by MrD »

TattooedGun wrote:Swing, RPA, Paramount, older AI, Parker Hale etc would be where I'd be looking, if that's your game as they're designed to be shot from a single point sling with dioptre sights.
Totally agree. You could mod a Remmy as a TR but after spending your cash, I doubt that it would ever be competitive unless you re-barrel too. For a first toe-dip, find a decent older second-hand rifle. Once you have invested in all of the equipment - sling, gimp-suit, glove, spotting scope, etc - and you are sure that TR is for you, you can then look around for a better rifle.

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
Pippin89

#29 Post by Pippin89 »

MrD wrote:
TattooedGun wrote:Swing, RPA, Paramount, older AI, Parker Hale etc would be where I'd be looking, if that's your game as they're designed to be shot from a single point sling with dioptre sights.
Totally agree. You could mod a Remmy as a TR but after spending your cash, I doubt that it would ever be competitive unless you re-barrel too. For a first toe-dip, find a decent older second-hand rifle. Once you have invested in all of the equipment - sling, gimp-suit, glove, spotting scope, etc - and you are sure that TR is for you, you can then look around for a better rifle.

Donald
I have all the kit already as I have been shooting small bore for a while. And I have shot full bore in the past. I am just awaiting my FAC. I am definitely going cheaper and second hand first. That way I will know what sort of thing I like and don't like before spending more money. Parker Hale seem to be the best bet but I will keep my eye on all of your suggestions.

Thanks all!