First Fullbore Rifle

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: First Fullbore Rifle

#11 Post by Pippin89 »

MrD wrote:Hi

By 'Target Shooting' do you mean TR style with aperture sights or do you mean shooting at targets with a scoped rifle?

Donald
Sorry yes, Aperture sights, sling etc.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by 1066 »

A few years ago there seemed to be plenty of Enfield based 7.62 target rifles around for not much money - now the few about are not cheap.

Here's a nice one, ready to go and around your budget.

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/index.php ... bre308762/
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Pippin89

#13 Post by Pippin89 »

1066 wrote:A few years ago there seemed to be plenty of Enfield based 7.62 target rifles around for not much money - now the few about are not cheap.

Here's a nice one, ready to go and around your budget.

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/index.php ... bre308762/
That looks like a good option.... Thank you!! There is also a Ruger 10/22 which I am also after on their books. Damn I wish I had my FAC now! haha
MrD

#14 Post by MrD »

Pippin

I assume you've asked around at your club? Usually there is someone with an older-style TR who would be happy to find it a new home. In saying that, there are/were a fair few with knackered barrels or sights with so much play they become un-useable.

We scrapped a P14-based one a couple of years ago as we couldn't give it away. We are in the process of disposing of another Mauser actioned one as we are in a similar position again and it's likely we will strip the sights, bolt-parts and trigger and hand it in for destruction. I'm sure there must be a fair few clubs in your area with similar unwanted rifles.

If you were closer, I'd offer you it for a nominal sum as I'd rather it was going to be used than scrapped.

Your budget should buy you a good starter rifle. Just take your time and don't rush into buying just anything :good:

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by 1066 »

Pippin89 wrote:That looks like a good option.... Thank you!! There is also a Ruger 10/22 which I am also after on their books. Damn I wish I had my FAC now! haha
If you're thinking of using the 10/22 out to 600 yards you'll need to raise the rear sight a bit. (About 8 1/2" should do it.) :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Pippin89

#16 Post by Pippin89 »

MrD wrote:Pippin

I assume you've asked around at your club? Usually there is someone with an older-style TR who would be happy to find it a new home. In saying that, there are/were a fair few with knackered barrels or sights with so much play they become un-useable.

We scrapped a P14-based one a couple of years ago as we couldn't give it away. We are in the process of disposing of another Mauser actioned one as we are in a similar position again and it's likely we will strip the sights, bolt-parts and trigger and hand it in for destruction. I'm sure there must be a fair few clubs in your area with similar unwanted rifles.

If you were closer, I'd offer you it for a nominal sum as I'd rather it was going to be used than scrapped.

Your budget should buy you a good starter rifle. Just take your time and don't rush into buying just anything :good:

Donald
Thank you for your advice. We have a "for sale" board at the club and I keep an eye out there to see if anyone has posted anything. Unfortunately as a probationer I am limited to Wednesdays so there aren't as many of the experienced shots around (other than the clubs coaches). Once I am a full member and can go on other nights I will certainly ask around.
Pippin89

#17 Post by Pippin89 »

1066 wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:That looks like a good option.... Thank you!! There is also a Ruger 10/22 which I am also after on their books. Damn I wish I had my FAC now! haha
If you're thinking of using the 10/22 out to 600 yards you'll need to raise the rear sight a bit. (About 8 1/2" should do it.) :)
Haha! No the Ruger is for LSR at 25 yards...
Tac20 mark

#18 Post by Tac20 mark »

I’d deffo go with a 223 with 1in8 or 9 twist
Pippin89

#19 Post by Pippin89 »

Tac20 mark wrote:I’d deffo go with a 223 with 1in8 or 9 twist
Thank you but as stated above I want to stick with the clubs recommendation of calibre.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#20 Post by Andy632 »

Yup, as Mr.D said, many clubs may have older suitable rifles. Hassle, as always, is shipping them!
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.