Browning BLR

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Browning BLR

#1 Post by Sim G »

The Browning BLR. Is there a rifle more ugly? This thing makes a Savage look pretty....

I picked one up, cheap, less than half the new retail price! Thought I'd look for an alternative to my .45-70 and .30-30 for boar. The guy who had it before hand, didn't agree with cleanings, it seems! Bloody hell is it well finished! And if your a lever gun guy, and you've not worked the rack and pinion of a BLR, you have to give it a go! Follow up shots are an absolute doddle!

But yes, function should come before form, but sheesh....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
The Event

Re: Browning BLR

#2 Post by The Event »

I have an Armalon modified one. Heavy fluted barrel & converted to use Ruger Mini 14 magazines and I think it looks great.
That lever almost works itself.
But don't ever make the mistake of trying to remove the bolt.
Attachments
Browning.JPG
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#3 Post by BooBoo »

I too have one that I imported from NZ in the early 2000's.

It was one of two that I was able to find new anywhere in the world. Like the aforementioned, it was immediately converted by Armalon... and Peter was keen to stress that I should never remove the bolt carrier!

Great fun...
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

I remember seeing a Sarony converter BLR up for sale a few years ago. I missed it. And being a dyed in the wool lever addict, regularly when I drag out my straight pull “practical rifle”, do I think about one! Had the conversation about one only a few months ago...

The BLR instruction manual itself states not to disassemble!! lol lol lol
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

fra150l

#5 Post by fra150l »

I have always wanted one. I dont have a box magazine in my lever action collection!
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#6 Post by Sixshot6 »

The Event wrote:I have an Armalon modified one. Heavy fluted barrel & converted to use Ruger Mini 14 magazines and I think it looks great.
That lever almost works itself.
But don't ever make the mistake of trying to remove the bolt.
One question, do you think it would be possible if I sourced a 223 Henry Ranger the modern version of this gun to get Sarony to convert it to either mini 14 or ar mags?
The Event

#7 Post by The Event »

Sixshot6 wrote:
One question, do you think it would be possible if I sourced a 223 Henry Ranger the modern version of this gun to get Sarony to convert it to either mini 14 or ar mags?
From watching video of the Henry in use it looks like the trigger guard part of the lever would get in the the way of any extended magazine.
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#8 Post by Sixshot6 »

The Event wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote:
From watching video of the Henry in use it looks like the trigger guard part of the lever would get in the the way of any extended magazine.
Didn't notice but before it got abandoned in favour of cheaper endeavours I knew a us gunsmith who was up for it. When I have the time I shall consult sarony as he wasn't supposed to be able to the ar mags in Remy 700s to an extent so will consult. Thank you for input.

Edit: the guy may have mentioned the trigger guard issue and suggested a short stroke. I think possibly your BLR has the same mod...
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#9 Post by BooBoo »

If you are really after one then Wentworth Sporting had one for sale on their stall at The Phoenix...

Second hand but already fully converted by Armalon together with a £2,500 price tag.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

Someone wealthier than me will own it then....