German modular straight pulls

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

German modular straight pulls

#1 Post by daman »

I'm thinking of getting a German straight pull, either a Merkel Helix or Blaser R8. To be used predominantly on paper, statics to 200m and running Deer at 100m, with occasional deer and boar trips.

Does anyone on here have either? Any comments you'd like to share? Accuracy? Maintenance? Return to zero after a barrel swap?

I'm tempted to go all in and 1-for-1 a couple of calibres and get the equivalent barrels/bolts for the modular (GAS), but my sensible side says save the cash, get one calibre first and if that works out look to change another at a later date. Thoughts?

Best

- daman
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: German modular straight pulls

#2 Post by Sim G »

Used a Blaser R8 a fair bit. Belonged to someone else. I would have one in a heart beat!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

I shot a R8 recently, with 7mm Mauser and .458 Win Mag barrels and it was a very nice rifle indeed.The gentleman that owns it has a scope for each chambering and he said it holds zero perfectly when changing between scopes.Barrel and bolt changes were very easy ito say the least and the straight-pull action was very smooth and the trigger pull was near perfect.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#4 Post by daman »

Thanks guys, the Blaser certainly does tick a lot of boxes.

I slightly prefer the Merkel (on the scientific basis of 'it looks purty') anyone have any experience there?
42DAF

#5 Post by 42DAF »

I’ve used both and had clients with both not a lot in it at all personally there is something I like more about the helix that I can’t put my finger on. Both return to zero no issues on barrel changes both slick and fast on driven game.
6 of 1 half a dozen of the other