Gunsmithing calibre conversion

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

flamoudi
Home club or Range: CVPC Ashgill Scotland

Gunsmithing calibre conversion

#1 Post by flamoudi »

Some advice please.

I think my .223 barrel is probably needing replaced. I am thinking of changing to 6.5 if the bolt face can be machine to take the new calibre and therefore barrelled in same. Its a Barnard action.

Any gunsmiths in the Central Region of Scotland think this is doable?

What sort of price range all in?
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Gunsmithing calibre conversion

#2 Post by Sim G »

Try Stuart Rankine at http://gunrepairs.co.uk

I appreciate he's Borders in Jedburgh, but certainly close enough to travel. Cost would depend on quality of barrel chosen and all manner of other stuff. I couldn't see you get much change out of £1200 judging from the quotes for rebarrelling that I've had recently.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

flamoudi wrote:Some advice please.

I think my .223 barrel is probably needing replaced. I am thinking of changing to 6.5 if the bolt face can be machine to take the new calibre and therefore barrelled in same. Its a Barnard action.

Any gunsmiths in the Central Region of Scotland think this is doable?

What sort of price range all in?
Might be worth getting a quote for another bolt from say Dolphin (Barnard importers).

Post a pic of the 223 boltface - the extractor will be the problem but I may be able to tell from a pic if it's possible.
flamoudi

#4 Post by flamoudi »

I remember Stuart Rankin from way back. Bought a .177 CO2 Feinwerkbau pistol from him in the olden days when they were on ticket.

I will take a photo tomorrow for inspection. I had an idea the extractor might be a problem. I need to look at getting a quote for a new bolt.

Might end up just rebarrelling in .223 and buying a 6.5 if I find a reasonably priced one.

Thanks chaps.
flamoudi

#5 Post by flamoudi »

I hope this helps
Attachments
boltface.jpg
The Gun Pimp

#6 Post by The Gun Pimp »

flamoudi wrote:I hope this helps
It does. When the bolt-face is opened out, the ejector will work OK but the extractor could be a problem.

It will sit in exactly the same place as it does now - and may not click over the larger case-rim - it may just hit the rim - if you see what I mean. If you were to space it out, (I've done this) then it may foul the raceways when extracting the case. It won't lie flush with the bolt as it does now. Couldn't be sure without seeing the action.

Even if you could get someone to do the job, it could go wrong and you are left with a scrap bolt. Best to price up a 308 bolt and maybe sell the 223 one.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

If you are going to build this on a .223 action it would have to be single loaded would it not it could not be magazine fed.
I would sell it and use the money to buy a 6.5 because it sounds like that's what you really want.
I have experience of building 6.5 on short actions take my word for it its a mine field.
flamoudi

#8 Post by flamoudi »

It isn't magazine fed anyway.

Yes, I think it's not going to happen with the .223. I might just keep it for F class as it is.

Just get it rebarrelled. There's a gunsmith in Forfar I might contact.

Thank,s for helping though.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

flamoudi wrote:It isn't magazine fed anyway.

Yes, I think it's not going to happen with the .223. I might just keep it for F class as it is.

Just get it rebarrelled. There's a gunsmith in Forfar I might contact.

Thank,s for helping though.
Yes, a .223 action is never going to work magazine feeding 6.5. I don't know anything about F class is it normal to single feed in F class.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

It is either an S or P receiver, so it is is a Barnard with a .223 bolt face, not a .223 rifle action. This means you can swap the bolt and shoot magnum case head rounds if you wish without issues.

I would order another bolt and keep the .223 as a spare as theya re quite unusual over here. (You will need a variation to hold it)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal